The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
ResidentialStaff WriterMon 07 Aug 17

Defence Housing Development in Adelaide Wins 6-Star Environmental Rating

the-princes-terrace-adelaide-bowden-sa1_870x340_620x380

Launched by Prince Charles in 2015, The Prince’s Terrace Adelaide development is due for completion later this year and is expected to set a new example for environmentally sustainable living.

A project formed from a partnership between Defence Housing Australia, The Prince's Trust Australia and the State Government’s Urban Renewal Authority (Renewal SA), The Prince’s Terrace Adelaide will feature 12 sustainable homes — a mix of eight terraces and four flats built as mews behind the terraces.

The project is located in the revitalised urban precinct of Bowden in South Australia.

These homes are predicted to use 50 per cent less energy and 50 per cent less potable water than a typical urban townhouse, with a carbon footprint also reduced by more than 40 per cent when compared to a standard house.

The development will become the first residential project in Australia to receive a 6 Star Green design rating from the Green Building Council of Australia.

DHA Managing Director Jan Mason told The Advertiser the bricks used to build the terraces have been recycled from the original Bowden industrial buildings and are more than 100 years old.

“In addition, there is a strong emphasis on local, low carbon materials, including locally made concrete with a recycled fly ash content and local granite,” Mason said.

“The use of foam block, slurry concrete and double glazed windows means the apartments’ insulation levels will be more than double that of normal brick."

According to The Advertiser, apartments are also being fitted with roof ventilators, wall grills and ceiling fans to reduce air-conditioner and heater use (and) the core filling of the walls has fire ash and slag mixed into the concrete to comply with the environmental ratings.

“In addition, waste at the construction site is being sorted into three industrial bins; for general, concrete and steel waste. The steel and concrete is recycled 100 per cent, and overall the site has been recycling 95 per cent of all waste," they said.

Local family-owned company Palumbo Pty Ltd was selected last week by DHA to build The Prince’s Terrace. The project will employ 230 people from beginning to end.

DHA will reportedly retain some of the dwellings after completion, which is expected in October 2017.

ResidentialAustraliaConstructionArchitecturePolicyConstructionPolicy
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/prince-approved-housing-project-steps-closer-completion