The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherStaff WriterMon 01 Sep 14

Residential And Hotel Conversions To Offset Future Office Supply

A

Over the next two years Brisbane CBD office market is facing a potential withdrawal of about 170,000 square metres of space which is bound to ease the rising vacancy rate affected by the supply of new office projects in 2016.

The withdrawals include plans for residential and hotel conversion and development.

Jason Lynch, Director of Capital Markets and Investment Services at Colliers International said that these withdrawals will almost counterbalance the future supply comprising 174 Ann Street (180 Brisbane), 480 Queen Street and 1 William Street which are all estimated for completion in 2016.

“We don’t believe the vacancy rate will be increasing as much as previously thought. In 2016 Brisbane CBD will have 188,156 square metres delivered to the market, however it is important to note the quantum of stock withdrawals between now and 2017, when potential 170,000 square metres of office space is expected to be taken out of the market,” said Mr Lynch.

“Due to the strength of the residential apartment market in Brisbane and high office vacancy, older or obsolete stock is being converted or redeveloped for residential or hotel use.

“We are seeing an influx of private Chinese and state owned developers looking to convert or redevelop the existing office assets for residential or hotel use.

“The withdrawals that have recently been confirmed total about 70,124 square metres. The State Government has plans to demolish about 66,000 square metres of office space on George Street to make way for the development of the new Queens Wharf Precinct. These tenants who primarily are government departments are due to relocate to 1 William Street once complete in 2016.

“In addition to this, it has recently been released that Singaporean Aspial Corporation is finalising plans to buy the 240 Margaret Street site for residential development. The building has 3,566 square metres of NLA over 6 levels,” said Mr Lynch.

Tom Phipps, Director of Capital Markets and Investment Services at Colliers International said there is about 98,000 square metres of office space which could potentially be withdrawn from the market in the next two years.

“There are number of major office buildings with pending lease expiries that are targets for conversion or redevelopment. Some examples of this are TFE Hotels planning to convert 171 George Street into a hotel and the potential conversion or redevelopment of 363 Adelaide Street to residential.

Mr Phipps said there is another category of future office supply that is now withdrawn from the market. “This category which accounts for about 194,205 square metres includes all mooted office developments that have been changed to residential and hotel use or have been shelved.

“Developments such as 150 Elizabeth Street (Regent Tower) and 150 Roma Street (Q Centre 1) totalling 124,250 square metres will not proceed in this cycle. The DA for mixed use development 111 Mary Street and 222 Margaret Street included the 35,000 square metre A-Grade commercial tower, but has been redesigned to give the developers an option to change the use from office to hotel if they are unable to secure a pre-commitment.

“In addition to these, the site on the corner of Albert and Margaret Streets which was earmarked for the AM30 development, an 18,000 square metre office tower, is now proposed to be used for a residential apartment development."

OtherResidentialOfficeHotelAustraliaSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/residential-and-hotel-conversions-to-offset-future-office-supply