The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
PolicyStaff WriterMon 16 Feb 15

Queens Wharf Project Given Support From New QLD Labor Government

Q

With a new Labor government in power in Queensland, the future of some major projects is uncertain. However, this is not the case for the major Queens Wharf project, which has been given support from the new government.

A letter from retiring state ALP Deputy Leader Tim Mulherin in the last days of the campaign indicated the party was in favour of the previous Newman government’s plan to redevelop the Brisbane CBD riverfront, which is an argument that had not been expressed previously.

“Queensland Labor supports the redevelopment of Queen’s Wharf,” he said in the letter.

“A Labor government would place the proposals for the Queen’s Wharf Integrated Resort Development through a proper and thorough departmental assessment and probity review.

“A Labor government would make any decision on a Queens Wharf Integrated Report Development based on both independent departmental advice and probity review.”

As reported by The Australian, senior public servants had completed their assessments of the high-stakes rival consortia bidding to build the casino resorts — Crown with the Chinese state-owned developer Greenland, versus Echo’s joint venture with Chow Tai Fook and the Far East Consortium — and were ready to hand their decision to a re-elected Newman government cabinet.

However, with a new Labor government, the tender process is likely to be delayed and the assessment procedures for Queens Wharf are going to be reviewed in line with Labor policy.

One factor at play is the influence of the United Voice union, which backed the Crown-led consortium last year and will be influential under a Labor government.

Echo Entertainment chief executive Matt Bekier said last week that the company had spent $9 million on its bid so far and would work with either side of government.

HotelInfrastructureAustraliaPlanningPolicyPlanningPolicy
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/queens-wharf-project-given-support-new-labor-government