The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherStaff WriterTue 29 Jul 14

Grocon To Offload CUB Landholdings

C

Leading real estate company Grocon is moving to sell two of its three remaining landholdings at the former CUB site in the Melbourne CBD, with proceeds from the sale expected to exceed $60 million.




The sites, totaling 6,600sqm, form part of Grocon’s highly successful Swanston Square development and are bound by Queensbridge and Bouverie Streets.


CBRE Melbourne City Sales agents Mark Wizel, Josh Rutman and Tom Tuxworth have been engaged by Grocon to conduct an international Expressions of Interest campaign, which is set to commence next week.


Grocon Chief Executive Carolyn Viney said that as the sites have potential for high density development they felt it was a good time to test the market.


"Recent site sales in and around the Melbourne CBD have achieved strong values and these landholdings have the benefit of being strategically located between RMIT and Melbourne University, as well as in close proximity to the attractions of the CBD and Carlton," said Viney.


“Our two residential developments on the former brewery site have been hugely successful and we now have some 800 apartments under construction on that site. We have another five development projects underway in various stages of delivery in Melbourne, as well as the $1.1bn Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre in Parkville, so we’re well represented in the Melbourne market.


“This sale will enable us to further diversify both geographically and across property sectors as we look to fund a number of new business opportunities around the country in what is the largest development pipeline in our company’s history.”


The Grocon land is split into two titles and will be offered either individually or in one line.


The campaign is expected to generate strong interest from both offshore and local groups as active groups look to secure well located land parcels to take advantage of the well performed Melbourne Residential Apartment market that continues to attract unprecedented interest from buyers both locally and abroad.


CBRE Director Mark Wizel, who is a specialist in the Asian investment space, said Melbourne had been attracting fresh interest from a wide range of Malaysian, Singaporean and mainland Chinese developers.


“These groups recognise the strong sustained performance of the Melbourne residential market and interestingly in recent times it has been groups that have already built in Melbourne that are being more aggressive than those first time groups looking to break into the market,” Mr Wizel said.


“Since mid-2011, Asian developers have acquired circa $1.8 billion in Melbourne sites and there is no sign of any slowing in interest. More recently we have seen the emergence of new groups such as Hiap Hoe, UEM, ICD, Aspial and Fragrance Group, who have all secured land holdings for both immediate and medium term development.”


In an emerging trend the Melbourne market is also seeing somewhat of a renaissance in the sense that strong locally based developers are competing strongly for sites when they are offered for sale.


“We have seen several local developers secure sites for new projects in the CBD and Southbank, among them Central Equity and Brady,” Mr Rutman said.


Swanston Square has been a notable high performer in the Melbourne market for some time, the site which was affectionately known by Melbournian’s as the former CUB site is likely to become home to over 4,000 residents in time.


"The Swanston Square Precinct without doubt is on the radar of a wide range of off shore developers and investors at present,” Mr Wizel added.


The International Expressions of Interest campaign for the Grocon sites will close mid to late September 2014.



ResidentialAustraliaMelbourneReal EstateSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/grocon-to-offload-cub-landholdings