The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
OtherFri 17 Apr 20

Construction Industry Calls for Further Stimulus, Relief

TUD+ MEMBER CONTENT
7d60124d-7116-4c21-ad76-3d2b2def2e23
SHARE
68
print
Print

New government stimulus measures to kick-start building activity have been called for, as the construction sector continues to navigate complexities amid the coronavirus pandemic.

While projects that commenced prior to the onset of Covid-19 are providing short term work, Master Builders chief executive Denita Wawn said that new orders had “fallen off a cliff” for the majority of its 32,000 members.

“The home building sector is being hit particularly hard,” Wawn said.

“Confusion about how domestic building activity fits in with government safety rules, combined with job losses and business closures is having a devastating impact on demand for new residential building activity.”

Wawn added that Australia's commercial and civil construction contractors also required a forward pipeline of work.

In a bid to keep the construction industry open during Covid-19, Master Builders and the CFMEU forged a rare alliance last month.

The pair called on both federal and state governments to announce that it would not pursue liquidated damages in contracts due to impacts of Covid-19, signalling that private clients follow.

Quantity surveying firm Slattery calculated that covid-19 could cost government and developers up to $900 million to $1.5 billion a month in delay costs, or contractors between $1 billion to $2 billion per month in liquidated damages.

Liquidated damages clauses incentivise each party to complete their obligations under the contract time period, with construction delays one of the most common disputes on projects.

Related: Melbourne Metro Tunnel: Everything You Need To Know

▲ Melbourne's Metro Tunnel, one of the major projects that could face added delays due to covid-19.


Earlier this year projects were affected by supply issues from China, but Slattery says this no longer appears to be a major problem.

“However, issues are emerging with supply from Europe, particularly for facades and lifts,” Slattery managing director Sarah Slattery said.​

“Another common concern is the potential for material hold-ups on arrival if Australian wharves strike or are shutdown,” Slattery said.​

“One positive to come from this uncertainty however is that we are hearing contractors are sourcing more than ever from local suppliers.”

While the private sector is showing signs of slowing with several residential projects going on hold, Slattery said that state government and local council work is on the rise.

Australia’s total construction building forecast for this financial year is approximately $100 billion, according to Slattery figures, while the total infrastructure forecast is $65 billion.

Related: Property Developers Reluctant To Push Ahead With New Projects

▲ The second known coronavirus case on a construction site was confirmed at major project, Melbourne Square last month.


For the construction industry, BDO Australia says early estimates suggest the impact of GDP from Covid-19 could see construction take a medium hit, or –35 per cent of the economy.

BDO's national construction partner Andres Reith described the current climate of Australia’s construction industry as “marred”.

“Not only by the inherent economic concerns of corporate collapse due to Covid-19, but also health concerns,” Reith said.

“It has also created some anxiety in the workforce, emphasising the need to refocus on mental health and wellbeing, as health fears climb.

“While the long-term effects are still unclear, day-by-day businesses are facing new ways of working and overcoming issues of decreased productivity. ”

Reith said that findings show there are three key areas where construction owners and operators are improving; in the areas of technology – through remote access to work, workforce planning – through remote supervising, and the rotation of construction teams; and physical office spaces - as more people work from home and companies begin to rethink the requirement for significant office space.

OtherResidentialOfficeInfrastructureAustraliaBrisbaneMelbournedo not useConstructionReal EstateConstructionOther
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/construction-industry-further-stimulus-liquidated-damages-coronavirus