The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
10
print
Print
OtherTaryn ParisFri 14 Apr 23

Banks Back Fortis Pipeline

Sydney-based developer Fortis has secured bank funding to the tune of $142 million for three of its projects.

Fortis director Charles Mellick said the bank funding was a vote of confidence for the $42-million completed 2 Guilfoyle Avenue and two projects under construction. 

“Although the commercial real estate finance market is more demanding at the moment, these recent facilities from ANZ, St George and Macquarie Bank demonstrate that the major banks are still looking to lend and to take a commercial approach, displaying a strong preference for premium assets and experienced borrowers,” Mellick said. 

“Macquarie Bank saw significant value in the strength of the lease covenants in 2 Guilfoyle Avenue and were able to lend at an Interest Rate Cover that reflected this. 

“Although we were still required to make a substantial equity injection, we appreciated the commercial attitude taken by the bank.”

The mixed-use commercial building has long-term tenancies with Baker Bleu and TDM Growth Partners. 

St George provided a $52.4-million construction loan for the completion of the retail and residential project, MONA at Darling Point. Mellick said eight of the 24 apartments had been pre-sold, including the penthouse, which sold for $13.75 million.

Completion of MONA was slated for late 2024, while construction on Piper at Point Piper was also due for completion at that time.

Fortis secured an ANZ construction loan of $64.3 million for the Luigi Roselli-designed apartment project. Mellick said six of the 14 luxury apartments had been pre-sold and the loan was about 55 per cent covered. 

null
▲ A render of MONA at Darling Point.

“These construction loans represented conservative loan to value ratios of about 50 per cent, whereas the major banks would probably have loaned about 60-65% of end net value in early 2022,” he said. 

“Accordingly, each project is more equity intensive than it would have been in that environment. 

“On the other hand, in earlier times the major banks would have required that the net value of off-the-plan sales represented 80-100 per cent of the construction loan limits, so in this respect they will show commercial flexibility for the right project if the developer has a strong track record.”

OtherRetailResidentialAustraliado not useOther
AUTHOR
Taryn Paris
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/banks-back-fortis-pipeline