The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
2
print
Print
OtherMarisa WikramanayakeTue 06 Dec 22

Handmade Heritage: Orchard Piper Demolition Plan Greenlit

Orchard Piper's 370 Albert Street project in East Melbourne.

Melbourne City Council has approved an amendment to allow developer Orchard Piper to demolish and rebuild by hand part of a heritage building on the site of its nine-storey East Melbourne project.

The council’s Future Melbourne Committee unanimously supported a plan to allow Orchard Piper to demolish the eastern and northern sections of the rear wing of the building at 364 Albert Street.

“This is a very onerous process,” the deputy lord mayor Nicholas Reece told the meeting.

“As we have all learned, it requires the developer to dismantle the building, brick by brick, then sort and number each of those bricks. It will then be reconstructed in exactly the same manner in which it was first built back in 1873.”

A section of the western part of the next-door building at 366 Albert Street will also be taken apart and rebuilt.

Plans for the 1225-sq-m site were approved back in 2020.  The Jolson Architects design called for a nine-storey building with 13 residential units, a retail tenancy and three office spaces.

However, Orchard Piper received structural engineering advice after the permit was granted indicating that there was a risk to worker safety as well as the heritage buildings’ structural integrity if they continued work on the basement level of the new structure. 

The developer sought an amendment asking to be allowed to take the walls apart by hand. Other work on the site continued while the amendment was considered.

Kerry Hills Architects designed the plans for Orchard Piper's mixed-use project at Toorak in Melbourne.
▲ A render of the view from one of the penthouses of the Albert Street development.

Orchard Piper development manager Brad Gore said they were thankful their “meticulous approach to the restoration of the building had been supported by the council”.

“This approval will allow 364 Albert Street to return to its original residential use as one of the last remaining single residences on the Fitzroy Gardens,” Gore said.  “It ensures optimal safety onsite and ensures the longevity of this iconic property.”

Cr Reece told the meeting their planning team had learned some lessons from the application.

“This is far from an ideal outcome,” he said.  “It is not ideal from a heritage perspective, as we obviously want to see significant heritage buildings remained fully intact. And it is also a bad and expensive outcome for the developer.

“We will be more wary in future applications that require building under significant heritage buildings.

“I think we're all going to take this as a learning experience.”

A conservation architect will oversee the demolition and reconstruction process, which will include a survey and a refundable bank guarantee of $200,000.

The original projected cost of the project was $29 million.

ResidentialMelbourneAustraliaPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Marisa Wikramanayake
The Urban Developer
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/364-370-Albert-Street-East-Melbourne-Orchard-Piper-demolish-rebuild-heritage-amended-plans