The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OfficeStaff WriterSun 07 Dec 14

VCAT Reject Planning Application For Skinny Tower

Victoria’s planning adjudicator has knocked back a proposed super-thin office building set to rise from a tiny 288-square-metre Queen Street site.

Mario LoGiudice's Banco Group and developer Pierre Bernardi proposed to build a 141-metre, 37-storey building on the site.

One wall of the new structure, without windows and built from white and grey concrete to create the impression of a tree, was to rise sheer from the ground-level boundary.

The planning application for the $100 million tower was knocked back by the City of Melbourne earlier this year because of the lack of setbacks.

According to The Age, in a rare show of unity, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) backed the council and rejected the structure.

"How much and what form of development can be accommodated on a small site in the heart of Melbourne are central questions to the dispute," VCAT members Margaret Baird and Gregary Chase said.

The tribunal had no concern, in principle, with a tall building to the height proposed but said the scale of the sheer walls and lack of a podium made it unacceptable.

"Hopefully this VCAT decision is one small step back towards sensible planning decision making," City Councillor Stephen Mayne told The Age.

The site is opposite the heritage Celtic Club, where a controversial Buildcorp project is proposing a 48-level tower above the historic building.

On the opposite corner is the widely acclaimed 113-metre Fender Katsalidis-designed Republic Tower.

Banco Group's current projects include the Smith&Co development in Smith Street, Collingwood, which also ran foul of planning authorities, attracting a record number of objections before eventually being approved by VCAT.

The developers purchased the Queen Street site in October for $3.9 million.

Image via SMH

ResidentialAustraliaConstructionPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/vcat-reject-planning-application-skinny-tower