The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
2
print
Print
RetailPhil BartschThu 20 Jan 22

Tower Given Ministerial Tick for Historic Market Precinct

c2ee69be-feeb-4a87-9a61-da6a77658a20

Jeff Xu’s Golden Age Group has been given the final ministerial tick of approval to develop a 21-storey tower within Melbourne’s historic Queen Victoria Market precinct.

Construction of the $150-million development on a 1016sq m site at 432-450 Queen Street is expected to begin in the second half of this year.

The Bates Smart-designed tower—to be known as 450 Queen Street—was endorsed by the City of Melbourne in June last year and recently given the go-ahead by planning minister Richard Wynne.

The green light has been granted despite concerns over the precinct’s redevelopment and fears surrounding high-rise projects will “overshadow”, “homogenise” and “kill” the market, which has been operating for almost 150 years.

Under the approved plans, the existing building on the site will be restored and integrated into the development.

The new 67m tower will comprise 129 one- and two-bedroom apartments, with 10 per cent allocated for affordable housing, as well as three lower levels of retail space.

▲ Under the approved plans for Golden Age Group's new 21-storey tower, the existing building on the Queen Street site will be restored and integrated into the development.


Bates Smart director Julian Anderson said the project’s design was undertaken “with residents, visitors and the market community in mind by providing engaging spaces to live, work and play”.

“We have taken great care in designing an enduring and well-crafted addition to this neighbourhood, respecting the site’s historical context while being mindful that this development will have a role in shaping the future character of an evolving and diverse urban fabric,” he said.

Anderson said masonry would be applied to podium forms to complement the existing building and vitrine windows incorporated into the ground-floor retail as a contemporary interpretation of shopfronts in the market precinct.

Also, a triple-height, north-facing atrium would provide natural light and activity to the lower and upper ground retail tenancies, he said.

Golden Age managing director Jeff Xu welcomed the project’s ministerial approval as “a fantastic start to 2022”.

“Receiving approval is a reflection of the level of confidence the state government has in us as co-developers of this city,” he said.

“The project is located in a significant area of the Queen Victoria Market precinct and we’re excited to develop a project that will further contribute to this ever-evolving pocket of the city.”

The tower plans also include a basement level with 180 bicycle parking spaces, but no car parking spaces.

The council endorsed the development last year with some amendments, including the retention of more of the heritage facade.

At the time, City of Melbourne deputy lord mayor Nicholas Reece rejected claims the proposed tower looked like “a spreadsheet in the sky”, saying it was a high-quality development that would add value to the area.

ResidentialAustraliaMelbourneSector
AUTHOR
Phil Bartsch
The Urban Developer - Writer
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/tower-given-ministerial-tick-for-historic-market-precinct