Apartments
Vanessa Croll
Mon 18 May 26

DOMA Picked for City-Shaping $1.6bn Newcastle Quay Play

Newcastle Quay
Add us as a preferred source on Google

DOMA Group has won the nod to develop the final major Honeysuckle site in Newcastle’s three-decade shift from industrial harbour edge to mixed-use waterfront precinct.

Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation has picked the private developer as development partner for the $1.6-billion Newcastle Quay precinct, handing it the last major piece of the long-running renewal program.

Masterplanned by SJB, the project would turn the former industrial harbour edge of one of Australia’s great port cities into a mixed-use CBD front door.

It would deliver about 1000 homes, commercial space for 4000 workers, a 180-room hotel, 500-seat conference centre, retail, dining, a cinema and more than 11,000sq m of public space.

The government said construction was expected to contribute about $80 million annually to the economy, while the completed precinct would generate about $133 million each year for Newcastle and the wider Hunter.

SJB partner Emily Wombwell, who grew up in Newcastle, said the project was a rare city-making opportunity.

“City-making projects like this are rare opportunities, and their success depends on genuine collaboration, shared ambition and a deep understanding of place. I’m incredibly proud of the team behind it,” she said.

“Having grown up in Newcastle, it’s especially meaningful to help shape such an important part of the city, connecting the waterfront to the interchange and creating a place that tells you, unmistakably, you’ve arrived in Newcastle.”

An SJB rendering of Newcastle Quay, the $1.6-billion final-stage Honeysuckle precinct planned for Newcastle’s harbourfront.
▲ An SJB rendering of Newcastle Quay, the $1.6-billion final-stage Honeysuckle precinct planned for Newcastle’s harbourfront.

The project, previously known as Honeysuckle HQ, would span about 32,950sq m near Newcastle Interchange and the western end of the city centre.

Site preparation works are expected to begin in 2026, with the precinct to take shape over 15 years.

Planning and public spaces minister Paul Scully said the precinct fitted the government’s push to unlock housing on well-located land close to jobs, transport and entertainment.

“This is exactly the kind of city-shaping project the Minns Labor Government wants to see more of,” he said.

Scully said Honeysuckle HQ would deliver about 1000 homes while continuing the transformation of Newcastle Harbour for residents, workers and visitors.

The announcement marks the next private-sector move in a renewal program started more than three decades ago to remake former railway, wool store, cargo shed and warehouse land along Newcastle Harbour.

The proposed promenade would form part of more than 11,000sq m of public space at Newcastle Quay.
▲ The proposed promenade would form part of more than 11,000sq m of public space at Newcastle Quay.

HCCDC chief executive Valentina Misevska said the milestone reflected community feedback.

“Today’s milestone announcement marks a significant moment in the Honeysuckle Urban Renewal Project and reflects what the community told us they wanted to see—a well-connected precinct that prioritises public spaces, strengthens connections to the waterfront and transport, and creates opportunities for vibrant activation,” she said.

“It also delivers on ambitions for high quality design and sustainability, while respecting the area’s heritage and culture, creating a precinct that offers something for everyone.”

SJB is leading the masterplan and executive architecture, with Stewart Architecture, Architecture AND, Curious Practice, Turf Design Studio and SJB Planning also on the project team.

The scheme has a proposed gross floor area of about 167,000sq m, including more than 28,000sq m of commercial space and more than 6000sq m of retail.

The heritage-listed Wickham School of Arts would be preserved as part of the proposed Arts Square Hotel and conference centre.
▲ The heritage-listed Wickham School of Arts would be preserved as part of the proposed Arts Square Hotel and conference centre.

Honeysuckle Green, an enhanced Tree of Knowledge Park and new waterfront links would open harbour views and pull more public life to the foreshore.

The heritage-listed Wickham School of Arts would be preserved as part of a new Arts Square Hotel and conference centre.

Member for Newcastle Tim Crakanthorp said the Wickham School of Arts would be “conserved in perpetuity”, while Minister for the Hunter Yasmin Catley said the hotel and conference centre would support the region’s tourism and business events market.

Chris Farrington said Newcastle Quay would extend the CBD to the harbour and recast the city nationally.

“This site has always had the potential to be something extraordinary, and Newcastle Quay will bring that vision to life. A new waterfront precinct that seamlessly extends the CBD to the harbour, reshaping how the city is seen, experienced and valued on a national scale.”

Ground-floor retail would include fresh-food and market-style uses within the proposed Newcastle Quay precinct.
▲ Ground-floor retail would include fresh-food and market-style uses within the proposed Newcastle Quay precinct.

The group has been active in Newcastle since 2013 and said its completed and under-construction work in the city now exceeded $1 billion, with another $2 billion in its pipeline.

It said it had delivered 866 apartments, 31,556sq m of commercial space, 4407sq m of retail and a 181-room hotel in Newcastle.

Group managing director Jure Domazet said the precinct would extend its Hunter investment.

“DOMA Group is honoured to continue our investment in the Hunter region and to have the opportunity to deliver this world class city-shaping precinct for Newcastle.”

The developer said Newcastle Quay would have the largest number of buildings within a precinct in the Newcastle-Hunter region targeting Green Star certification across Communities and Green Star Buildings rating tools.

A concept and first-stage development application are expected by mid-2027.

The waterfront buildings have been arranged with mid-rise edges and more slender towers to preserve sunlight, views and openness.
▲ The waterfront buildings have been arranged with mid-rise edges and more slender towers to preserve sunlight, views and openness.
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/newcastle-quay-honeysuckle-bay-redevelopment-developer-doma-group-masterpan-sjb