The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
ResidentialStaff WriterThu 28 Aug 14

Napthine Government's Building Push Pay-Off

C

On Wednesday the

Australian Bureau of Statistics released figures showing Victoria's building boom is continuing at a strong pace.

The Construction Work Done figures show that the value of building work, including residential and non-residential building, jumped by 1.0 per cent compared with the previous quarter, to $6.39 billion.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy, said that the Government's strong building policies were responsible.

“Victoria’s building boom shows no signs of abating, the Napthine Government’s strong planning policy has made Victoria’s building sector the strongest of any state," said Minister Matthew Guy.

Over the previous 12 months, the total value increased by 0.7 per cent, to $24.9 billion. This is 10 per cent above New South Wales’ total building value for the same period.

Detached house construction rose 2.1 per cent for the quarter, to $2.06 billion, and was 9.3 per cent higher than the corresponding quarter of the previous year.

Non-residential building work jumped 4.0 per cent for the quarter, up to $2.28 billion. The value of non-residential building work for the year to June 2014 jumped by 5.7 per cent compared with the previous year, to a value of $8.87 billion.

“Victoria’s land supply program has been the most successful of any state, releasing 95,000 housing lots in metropolitan Melbourne alone. The strong competition between developers has dropped the median lot price from $225,000 in 2010 to around $191,000 now. This 15 per cent saving has benefited both homebuyers and builders."Zone reforms to residential and commercial zones have provided certainty to both builders and residents, making it clear what can be built where, rather than the anything-goes Melbourne 2030 approach that was previously in place.

ResidentialAustraliaConstructionConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Sydney developer is pushing ahead with a project it picked up following the collapse of Dyldam in 2020....
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/napthine-governments-building-push-pay-off