The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
RetailTue 23 Jan 18

Government Delays Sale of Bulimba Barracks Site

76339604-e5a8-44cd-868a-01e6498808fc

The sale of the Bulimba Barracks has been pushed back into the first half of 2018, despite a 2017 commitment by the federal government.

In 2015, the ADF confirmed they would be selling the 20-hectares of the 23-hectare riverfront site. The Brisbane City Council formally endorsed the master plan of the area in February 2017.

Fairfax reported that the sales delay was possibly in part to the by-election that took place late last year and ended in 2018 after long-serving Labor councillor Shayne Sutton resigned from his post in October 2017.

After the news, federal Labor MP Terri Butler reportedly contacted Dan Tehan during his time as the Defence Personnel Minister, inquiring about the sale which was anticipated to hit the open market in late 2017.

[Related reading: The Boatyard Kicks Off Major Urban Renewal on Bulimba’s Waterfront]

Information sighted by journalists revealed that Butler requested that Tehan provided an assurance that the property “will not be offered for sale on the open market and that no steps will be taken towards offering the property, until after that by-election has been on 20 January 2018, and the election of a new councillor has occurred.”

It was a move condemned by Brisbane City Council as planning chairman Julian Simmonds chalked the suggestion up to nothing more than political games.

An ADF spokesperson said it was anticipated the Bulimba Barracks would be listed for sale on the open market in the first half of 2018, but denied the by-election delayed the sale.

In a statement on the sale, they said the ADF was progressing its “due diligence activities for sale of the site” at the time of the by-election, so the information was available to prospective purchasers prior to the site being listed for sale.

“This process is in the final stages of completion with a concurrent process for the appointment of a real estate agent in late February 2018,” they said.

Council adopted the Bulimba Barracks Master Plan in 2017, preparing for future development on the site which will eventually include a mix of housing and unit types, new road and infrastructure networks and retail, business, commercial and community uses.

RetailInfrastructureAustraliaBrisbaneReal EstateDeal
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/government-delays-sale-of-bulimba-barracks-site-