The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
DevelopmentClare BurnettTue 03 Dec 24

Fortitude Valley Site on Block as Developer Flounders

Land & Homes EDM

ASX-listed developer Land & Homes Group has entered voluntary administration after being unable to plug the funding gap on a Brisbane project. 

Land & Homes acquired 44-100 Barry Parade site in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley for $20 million in 2016 and planned to develop 491 apartments. 

It filed its plans for the site in 2017, detailing two residential towers of up to 26 and 37 storeys with three and four-storey podiums, and 163 one, 304 two and 25 three-bedroom units. 

However, the pandemic proved an insurmountable obstacle for development funding, and the company blamed a “high level of fixed costs” with no indication when construction might start. 

According to a notice to the ASX this week, Land & Homes said the project was put on hold when Covid hit and its ongoing feasibility was subsequently questioned. 

With ongoing price escalation and “no confidence” that construction costs would materially reduce in the short term, Land & Homes found itself in a challenging situation, for which it required “significant capital” which was not readily available. 

null
▲ The project was to be delivered in two stages.

Despite engaging with several investors to pursue equity funding, it told the ASX, efforts fell flat, as did attempts to sell the project and associated freehold land as indicative offers were determined to be unviable. 

The site is listed as for sale and welcoming expressions of interest.

“In the absence of support for equity funding and the non-renewal of the finance facility with United Overseas Bank Ltd, the directors believe that LHM is unable to continue as a going concern and have no option but to place the LHM Group into voluntary administration,” it said in a statement. 

Administrators at Hamilton Murphy Advisory were appointed by Land & Home Group’s board of directors to review its financial position.

null
▲ The project would have included a central plaza and through-site link.

The writing had been on the wall for LHM for the past year—it had been suspended from trading for the past 12 months and had announced in June that it was seeking expressions-of-interest for its Barry Parade project. 

It had re-listed on the ASX prior to launching the development with the support of Singapoean Lian Huat Group.

According to its most recent quarterly accounts, it spent $324,000 on interest and other finance and administration costs, and it reported it had made a $1.5 million loss for the year to June, 2024 with $36 million in liabilities.

Barry Parade is L&H’s only development site—it sold its 2017 Wharf Street site at Spring Hill in 2021. 

ResidentialBrisbaneDevelopmentPlanningMarketsReal EstateFinanceConstructionOther
AUTHOR
Clare Burnett
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/fortitude-valley-land-and-homes-administration-queensland