The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
8
print
Print
InfrastructureRalph NicholsonWed 16 Nov 22

NSW Govt Completes Rezoning for $3bn Housing Estate

Waterloo Hero

The New South Wales government has rezoned a big chunk of Sydney’s inner south, paving the way for its $3-billion plan to redevelop a 1970s housing estate.

The rezoning of the initial phase of the 19ha Waterloo South estate will allow for construction of up to 847 social housing units, part of an eventual 3000 private and social homes.

An additional 227 homes will be built for affordable housing, and 10 per cent of dwellings will be dedicated First Nations housing.

The first phase of the redevelopment won gateway approval for rezoning last week. That followed a nearly two-year-long consultation period, including an eight-week public exhibition earlier this year.

Minister for planning and homes Anthony Roberts said the finalisation of the planning proposal was a positive step for the long-awaited redevelopment.

“The planning control changes mean we can begin the next stage of the project and support the delivery of new social and affordable housing, as well as private homes and new public space,” Roberts said in a statement.

The redevelopment proposal will be in three stages and built over the next 30 years.
▲ The redevelopment proposal will be in three stages and built over the next 30 years.

“This is about breathing new life into an old social housing estate to support the needs of the growing number of people who call—or want to call—Waterloo home.”

The government’s plans have not been without controversy.

The redevelopment affects about 2000 tenants who will have to be relocated. The NSW Land and Housing Corporation, which owns the property, says it is working on a resident relocations strategy with the Department of Communities and Justice.

The corporation argues that at around 40 to 70 years old, the current facilities are nearing the end of their lifespan and are increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain.

It says residents will get at least six months’ notice to relocate, and that is unlikely to happen before early 2024.

The redevelopment proposal will be in three stages—Waterloo South, Waterloo Central and Waterloo North—and built over the next 30 years.

Architects will be asked to submit building designs into a competition and shortlist of developers and community housing providers be finalised in weeks.
▲ Architects will be asked to submit building designs into a competition and shortlist of developers and community housing providers be finalised in weeks.

Waterloo South covers about 65 per cent of the project and will include four towers of between 27 and 33 storeys, plus some medium-rise of six to 13 storeys and some low-rise between two and five storeys.

Plans for the first stage were overhauled in February of last year to create fewer high rise towers, and more social and affordable housing.

Architects will be asked to submit building designs into a competition.

The plan includes changes to streets, walkways and cycleways to improve traffic flow, as well as an additional 2.5ha of public open space.

The NSW government’s announcement of the Waterloo redevelopment precinct in 2015 included the delivery of a new Waterloo metro station—due to open in 2024—and includes a big mixed-use development above the station.

ASX-listed property group Mirvac and construction group John Holland have been given the green light to begin building the $900-million new homes, shops and integrated community facilities.

The corporation opened an expressions-of-interest campaign looking for a developer and community housing providers to deliver the Waterloo South phase, which ended in August. An evaluation process is now under way.

Corporation chief executive Simon Newport said he expected a shortlist to be finalised in coming weeks.

“We’re excited to keep this project moving—a renewal partner will deliver new buildings and infrastructure and collaborate with government to support residents through change, to create a vibrant and mixed inner-city community,” Newport said.

ResidentialAustraliado not usePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ralph Nicholson
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/waterloo-south-rezoning-apartments-development-nsw-government