The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherStaff WriterThu 02 Nov 17

Probuild Appointed to Biggest Excavation Job in Queensland's History

Screen-Shot-2017-11-03-at-11

Destination Brisbane Consortium has announced Probuild as the successful tenderer for the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane integrated resort development excavation works package. 

Demolition work for the $3 billion development is nearing completion, and Destination Brisbane Consortium program director Simon Crooks said the undertaking will be the largest city-based excavation project to occur in Queensland.

More than 450,000 cubic metres of materials will be removed to make way for the future Queen’s Wharf Brisbane integrated resort development basement.

The next closest comparison would be The Myer Centre basement excavation, which had previously held the record at 375,000 cubic metres.

"The scale of excavation for the site was unprecedented for a Queensland city centre," Crooks said.

[Related reading: Royal Treatment: Queens Wharf Urban Design Masterplan Unveiled]

Crooks said the decision was made following a competitive tender process and a rigorous assessment period.

“Probuild is a national company with experience in delivering some of the state’s largest construction projects,” he said.

“We have now worked with them first hand through the demolition work they are currently undertaking and have confidence in their ability to seamlessly execute on the excavation works package."Excavation will take approximately 18 months and will be followed by foundation work.

“To be involved again, in the state’s biggest-ever CBD basement retention and excavation project, is an achievement for Probuild," Probuild Queensland managing director Jeff Wellburn said.

[Related reading: Queens Wharf Priority Development Area Approved]"Queens Wharf is an important part of our city’s history and we’re proud to be delivering the next stage of it.”

Destination Brisbane Consortium is delivering the $3 billion Queen's Wharf development, which will cover more than 26 hectares across land and water.

When complete, Queen's Wharf will feature 50 new restaurants and bars, more than 1,000 premium additional hotel rooms, and 2,000 residential apartments. It will also reactivate some of the city’s most significant heritage buildings and provide more than 2,000 jobs during peak construction and 8,000 operational jobs.

Other key features of the project include a 100 metre-high Sky Deck, 12 football fields of public space and a new pedestrian bridge from the CBD to South Bank.

Work began earlier this year to demolish three former government buildings, including the architecturally-significant Neville Bonner building.

When the core of the development is complete in 2022, the basement excavation will provide thousands of carparks that provide direct access to the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane precinct.

Excavation work is expected to begin in early 2018.

IndustrialHotelAustraliaBrisbaneConstructionPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/queens-wharf-brisbane-brings-probuild-largest-cbd-excavation