The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherStaff WriterWed 26 Nov 14

Planning War Disrupts Tower Melbourne Progress

t

Millions of dollars in deposits from hundreds of apartment owners in Melbourne's most controversial skyscraper might need to be repaid if a rival developer succeeds in getting the super high-rises' planning permit cancelled.


A Singapore-based developer is seeking to cancel a neighbouring developer's permit for a soaring CBD skyscraper called Tower Melbourne, set to rise 71 storeys from the corner of Queen and Bourke streets.


The rival alleges it was approved by the Napthine government on the basis of "misstatements” or “concealments of fact".


The Chow family's Colonial Range company is fighting another deep-pocketed Singaporean developer, CEL Australia, over the proposal.


Deakin University professor and urban planning consultant Roz Hansen said, "the only times permits have ever been cancelled, and it's very rare situation for VCAT (Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal) to do that, would be if there was deception."


"I'm not familiar with a case of this scale occurring. If they're successful, it could send a shiver down the spine of others," Ms Hansen said.


Colonial Range alleges Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved Tower Melbourne in November 2012 without the full facts because CEL failed to include them in its permit application. The group says it found out about the alleged "concealment" only after obtaining Mr Guy's briefing notes and departmental reports under freedom of information laws.


Chow family spokesman Jason Hopp said, "We believe the minister made that decision [to issue a permit] without being fully informed."
Mr Guy has approved dozens of tall towers, sparking concerns about overshadowing and over-supply, while CEL has pocketed an estimated $50 million in deposits from 581 apartments, mainly sold to newly wealthy Asian and Australian buyers.


All the funds will need to be repaid if the permit is cancelled. CEL was contacted for comment.


CEL controversially sold many units in the curving glass-and-steel tower two years ago without having official planning permits. At the time, Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said the tower was too big and councillor Ken Ong called it a "blight".


Colonial Range has taken legal action against Tower Melbourne previously, after the tower proposal threw its plans for a new 27-level mixed-use office, apartment and retail complex on a neighbouring site into disarray.


The dispute is about vehicle use of a private easement through Penfold Place by the rival developments. The case will start at VCAT in mid-December.


CEL, a subsidiary of Chip En Seng Corporation, has written to an investor saying it will start demolition work on the site this month. 
Source: The Age

ResidentialAustraliaConstructionConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/planning-war-disrupts-tower-melbourne-progress