The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
5
print
Print
PlanningRenee McKeownThu 19 Aug 21

Pete Evans-Backed Bush Village Plan Rejected

426924b2-f89a-4e41-9ff6-e282debf580c

Plans promoted by celebrity chef Pete Evans to build a self-sufficient community in northern NSW have been rejected by the Northern Regional Planning Panel.

The plans were for 392 dwellings and 10 interconnected rural land-sharing communities in the Tweed Shire at 3220 Kyogle Road, Mount Burrell.

Nightcap Village on Minjungbul would have been a 12-stage development on the 1584.34ha site, which is currently zoned for RU2 Rural Landscape with an area RU5 Village.

Nightcap Developments had been working on the community since 2017, led by Adrian Brennock, Gunham Badi Jakamarra and Derek Zillman.

Currently there are several dwellings, farmland, plantations, campgrounds, cabins and sheds on the site, which is an hour from Byron Bay and Burleigh Heads.

Despite the “do no harm” and community-based philosophy of the development, the application received 225 objections.

It would require 106ha of land clearing and the site home to 33 threatened fauna and seven flora species.

▲ An aerial image of the Nightcap Village land in northern NSW near Mt Warning.


The application was ultimately recommended for rejection due to harm to the environment, breach of population density cap, the wildlife corridor and a lack of a heritage assessment.

The developers also wanted to build shops, a “sacred geometry” pub and healing centres in the future, which were not included in the plans.

The company was already selling shares in the collective land ownership for $299,000, with homes on the site to be designed and built by the individual owners.

Brennock said they had also prepared the prequalification for buyers, who ultimately had to be invited by the tribe and fellow community members.

“We’re looking for like-minded people who share not only the vision but also the energy and the volition to make this an amazing space to live,” Brennock said in a launch video on Youtube.

“To join us there’s over five hours worth of interviews alone at the moment, and that includes touring the land and getting to know us.”

However, the development has been surrounded by controversy including a legal proceeding with a blogger, Evans’ business issues, and previous plans for the site.

ResidentialAustraliaPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Renee McKeown
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/pete-evans-40m-nightcap-community-rejected