The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
Marisa WikramanayakeFri 29 Jul 22

Initiatives Add $98m to Melbourne CBD Businesses

The City of Melbourne has managed to generate around $98 million in revenue for businesses through their efforts to attract workers back to the CBD.

The Melbourne city council says its initatives to bring people back to the CBD has generated $98 million for businesses in the city’s heart.

A report outlining the results was presented to the Future Melbourne Committee meeting earlier this week. 

The report estimated that three iterations of the Melbourne Money scheme had generated at least $98 million in revenue and that 90 per cent of visitors polled said it had been a key factor in their decision to travel into the city.

The associated hospitality rebate scheme had about 850,000 claims made. It allowed visitors to request a rebate on expenditure on hospitality within the CBD.

The scheme also appears to have paid off for the push to bring workers back with about 55 per cent of those participating indicating it was a factor in their decision to return to work in the CBD.

More than half of them also said that they spent money on shopping, entertainment and other services while in the city.

In January 2022, office occupancy in Melbourne was at 49 per cent of pre-pandemic levels, according to the Property Council.

More recently, commuter traffic as measured by pedestrian traffic at Flinders Street Station during morning peak hour found there had been a steady increase to around 50 per cent of pre-pandemic levels.

The City of Melbourne also found that attendance at various events had increased by 20 per cent more than pre-pandemic levels. Image Source: Annie Spratt
▲ The CBD of Melbourne is coming back to life, according to the report. Image: Annie Spratt

The report also said that attendance at events had increased by up to 20 per cent above pre-pandemic levels, including Moomba, the Firelight festival and Melbourne Knowledge week.

Shoppers are also returning, with consumer-based economic activity for March, April and May 2022 exceeding the same period for 2019.  

However, the Victorian government issued advice on July 12 for people to wear masks indoors and in crowded settings, and for employers to consider work-from-home arrangements where possible.

Councillor Jamal Hakim moved that the result be noted and that the Lord Mayor write to the industry support and recovery minister to ask for an acceleration of the Melbourne City Revitalisation Fund to support city recovery once working-from-home recommendations were lifted.

“We are in the third year of the pandemic and I know that so many of us are tired and feeling exhaustion of the constant that it presents,” Hakim said.

“Regardless, the pandemic is continuing and adapting, and finding new ways to build resilience in the face of continuing pandemics is critical.”

Part of the motion also included council employees reporting back to the Future Melbourne Committee in November on the initiatives undertaken to attract people back into the city.

“Pre-pandemic, we invited on average 234,000 city workers each day into the city and we know that the future will be hybrid—we recognise that,” Hakim said.

“We also recognise how important it is to do our work in line with health advice and evidence-based actions so that ultimately we are looking after people working, visiting and residing in our municipality.” 

AUTHOR
Marisa Wikramanayake
The Urban Developer
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/melbourne-cbd-restart