The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
ResidentialPhil BartschFri 12 Apr 24

Half-Built Gold Coast Tower Hits Troubled Waters

Marine Quarter Southport render hero

A trouble-plagued, half-built Gold Coast dual-tower development has been forced back to the drawing board in a bid to bail itself out of deep water—literally.

Developer Buildcap is battling what it describes as “severe groundwater conditions” at its Marine Quarter project site at the edge of the Southport Broadwater.

Under the reworked plans, it is seeking to scrap the approved basement levels in its yet-to-be-built second stage Scenic Tower, replacing them with two additional upper storeys.

If given the nod, it would bump up the tower’s height from 33 to 35 storeys but still accommodate just its already approved 263 apartments.

The amendments have been submitted on the eve of buyers finally taking up residence in the 105 apartments of the project’s drawn-out first stage, the 30-storey Oceanic Tower.

“The groundwater conditions at the site presented significant challenges and prolonged delay in the delivery of the Stage 1 tower,” a planning report said.

With the pending construction of the second tower, the report also noted there was ongoing disquiet relating to the groundwater conditions on the 1957sq m site bordering the Broadwater Parklands at 163-167 Marine Parade.

It cited “concerns with continuation of basement works in terms of risks associated with connection to the presently sealed western edge of the Stage 1 basement levels, which are very soon to become operational”.

“In order to mitigate these concerns the applicant has engaged the project team to explore solutions for the delivery of the on-site car parking required to meet the needs of the Stage 2 tower, whilst seeking to avoid further delays and risks to the project.”

The revised plans propose two additional parking levels at levels 5 and 6 of the Stage 2 tower that would be accessed via a car lift from the approved level 4 parking area.

No changes are proposed to the floor plans or the mix and number of apartments within the development, albeit the residential levels would start from level 7 rather than level 5.

Renders of the approved Marine Quarter dual tower development at Southport.
▲ Renders of the approved Marine Quarter dual tower development at Southport.

The two additional parking levels would sit entirely within the presently approved footprint of the tower levels above and replicate its form and external appearance.

As well, the report said Buildcap had been adversely impacted in the delivery of the development following the collapse in July last year of GCB Constructions, which was contracted to complete the development.

“This has had a considerable impact on the project overall including the impact on purchasers of apartments within the development arising from the delays and complications affecting delivery of the project,” it said.

The Melbourne-based developer had been embroiled in a legal stoush with GCB Constructions over the delivery of the $180-million development but the dispute was eventually settled out of court.

In its submission to the Supreme Court of Queensland, Buildcap said it had given notice for GCB to begin stage two in May 2022 but the builder had asked it to delay its notice until March 2023.

The request was denied and GCB refused to commence works on the second tower claiming the “complex construction project” had “run into major problems”.

In September last year, following the demise of GCB Constructions, Gold-Coast-based Groupline Constructions was appointed to finish the partially completed Marine Quarter project.

ResidentialGold CoastAustraliaPlanningConstructionConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Phil Bartsch
The Urban Developer - Writer
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/marine-quarter-southport-tower-two-problem