The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OfficeStaff WriterTue 28 Oct 14

Development Reports Released As Napthine Government Prepares For Election

n

The Napthine Government has released details of how decisions were made on major development applications for the inner city, one before they enter caretaker mode.


According to the Herald Sun, Planning Minister Matthew Guy said it was the first time that departmental officer reports had been made public and signalled new transparency in planning.

“The release of these reports show that the public service provides professional and objective advice and that the Government takes this advice when approving new structures,” he said.

According to The Age the documents show Mr Guy was recommended to grant almost all the skyscraper applications made in the City of Melbourne since his government was elected. About 80 applications were given the tick of approval by planning department staff, pending a final decision by the minister.

A proposal for a five-star W Hotel on the site of the former Palace Theatre was one of the two applications Mr Guy received advice to reject. Also disliked was a 2012 proposal for a 67-storey apartment building near the intersection of Elizabeth and Franklin streets.

The department's advice was although were some good aspects of the plan, including additional "accommodation stock" in the central city, the building designed by Peddle Thorp Architects would have created a "canyon effect down Elizabeth Street".

Mr Guy said that there had been a number of instances when he had gone against the advice of his department- but only when that advice was to approve a development.

"There are some [developments] that architecturally I think are substandard," Mr Guy said.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy. Source: GeoflakeMr Guy has approved about 100 central city towers, sometimes earning a rebuke from Lord Mayor Robert Doyle over “inappropriate” developments.

But Mr Guy said the city council had supported two-thirds of all projects approved by him after departmental advice.

“No permit has been approved where the departmental recommendation was to refuse a planning permit, but (I have) refused a number of permits where the department has recommended approval,” he told the Herald Sun.

Opposition spokesman Brian Tee

was not convinced saying the controversy over the Ventnor rezoning on Phillip Island showed that Mr Guy had been caught out instructing the department to give him favourable advice.

“Minister Guy thinks people are fools when he releases the outcomes he has asked for and says he is being transparent — what a joke,” Mr Tee said.

Mr Guy said that Labor had never released similar planning officer reports during its 11 years in office.

If the government is re-elected, Mr Guy plans to ensure more departmental transparency.

"I think this is a watershed day for planning in the City of Melbourne, Mr Guy said. "Today is without parallel in the state's planning history, the level of transparency we're going forward with."The planning reports have been released on the Planning Department website.

ResidentialAustraliaConstructionPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/development-reports-released-as-napthine-government-prepares-for-election