The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ResidentialSun 05 Apr 20

Concern for Construction Workers Amid Coronavirus

TUD+ MEMBER CONTENT
7e22d149-a50c-4b16-a550-982502a7897e
SHARE
64
print
Print

Mounting concern for the health and safety of construction workers has been voiced following confirmed cases of Coronavirus on project sites, with an industry association questioning why sites are still open for business.

Prime minister Scott Morrison said he believed construction would remain as an essential service when questioned if there was a phase it could be considered “non essential”, on Friday.

“I don't believe so, no — it is essential,” Morrison said.

Morrison said that social distancing could be “practiced on construction sites, whether they’re residential or commercial.”

“This keeps the economy going. It keeps people in work... [The] premiers and I have discussed this, this is an important part of the economy,” Morrison said on The Fox 101.9 interview.

“There will have to be some changes on sites, no doubt... Just like mining, and resources and manufacturing, and all of these important jobs. We’ve got to keep the economy running.”

▲ The second known coronavirus case on a construction site was confirmed at Multiplex’s Melbourne Square last week.


Builders Collective of Australia president Phil Dwyer said maintaining social distancing on construction sites was virtually impossible, with the sector stuck between the “devil and the deep blue sea”.

“Because how on earth do you create social distancing on a building site? It’s very difficult in so many circumstances to maintain that 1.5 metre distance away from everyone else on a site.

“There’s more to this than just the economy, there’s the safety of all the people that work within the industry.”

Dwyer said the collective, which represents small- to-medium sized builders, had been calling for a fortnight shut down over the past few weeks, but with things changing so rapidly over the past few days, this now seems too short.

“We have this ‘she'll be right attitude’, which we've had in the industry for far too long... And that culture flows through to the pandemic problems that we've got now.”

Dwyer said talk of a shut down had caused angst for a lot of people in the industry.

“Because if construction sites close down — what does happen to the economy?

“What happens to all those fellows who have mortgages? Because they wouldn't get paid.”

▲ New South Wales announced on Friday it will fast-track the planning process for state significant developments, as workers are told to maintain social distancing measures.


New South Wales and Melbourne City last week announced it would be extending construction hours on sites.

New safety measures from peak industry body Master Builders Association and the CFMEU have been introduced to keep sites safe in a bid to support the industry during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Master Builders Victoria took to social media to reaffirm it does not support a shutdown of the building and construction industry, insisting that the sector remains open under the guidance of chief medical officers at state and federal levels.

“Everyone should understand what a shutdown would mean; Building and construction is our state’s largest full-time employer, and our industry contributes over 45 per cent of Victoria’s tax revenue.

“Social distancing may be slowing work down, but slower work is better than no work.”

To date there have been two confirmed cases of Covid-19 on construction sites, both in Victoria.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has warned stage four coronavirus restrictions are looming in the state.

ResidentialOfficeAustraliaBrisbaneMelbournePerthAdelaideCanberrado not useConstructionReal EstateConstructionSector
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/construction-sites-concern-coronavirus