The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
33
print
Print
ResidentialDinah Lewis BoucherFri 15 Jan 21

Build-to-Rent: Call on Developers for Brisbane’s Former Court Site

4153ef98-2ecc-45ab-a389-77550239c42e

The site of the former Children’s Court at 50 Quay Street is one of two new build-to-rent developments planned for inner Brisbane.

The Queensland government will offer the inner Brisbane site, signalling a state-owned transaction, as part of two affordable housing projects to be built.

In an announcement made on Friday, the state has opened an expression of interest campaign to the private sector for the two build-to-rent projects.

As part of its build-to-rent scheme, the Queensland government is offering the state-owned 50 Quay Street site and a rent subsidy for the successful bidder to build an affordable housing component within the project.

The initial $70 million "build-to-rent" scheme was revealed by the Queensland Government in December 2018, but then took almost two years before a first announcement was made.

In October last year, the state approved its first two build-to-rent projects, Frasers Property’s development at 210 Brunswick Street in Fortitude Valley and Mirvac’s build-to-rent development at 60 Skyring Terrace in Newstead.

▲ The site of the former Children’s Court at 50 Quay Street, Brisbane.


According to Friday's announcement, the expression of interest process for the second build-to-rent development will also have an affordable housing component, located on a privately-owned site identified by the successful proponent.

In a statement, treasurer Cameron Dick said the latest announcement comes as part of the state government’s Economic Recovery Plan for Covid-19.

“Through these two processes, the continued fostering of Build-to-Rent is expected to attract different investment and financing markets to residential property development and deliver a better living environment for future tenants and surrounding area,” the Treasurer said.

“For the first time, we are able to offer a build-to-rent site on state-owned property, the site of the former Children’s Court at 50 Quay Street.”

Build-to-rent, usually large-scale residential properties, will see the state government partnering with the private construction sector to deliver lower-cost rental homes primarily targeting key workers for homes close to employment.

Tapping the growing rental market, the projects aim to offer secure long-term housing, and is specifically designed, built and managed for long-term ownership and rental.


ResidentialAustraliaBrisbaneConstructionReal EstateConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Dinah Lewis Boucher
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Sydney developer is pushing ahead with a project it picked up following the collapse of Dyldam in 2020....
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/build-to-rent-brisbanes-former-court-site