The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
1
print
Print
OtherRalph NicholsonMon 26 Sep 22

Fresh Plans Filed for CBD Site in Wollongong

Gong Mixed Use Hero

Illawarra developers have filed plans for a 12-storey, mixed-use tower on the edge of downtown Wollongong, just a year after they secured a next-door sixth lot for the 2884-sq-m parcel.

Locally registered Kosto and Blaze Services paid $2.9 million for the additional 613sq m on Corrimal Street, completing the six-lot parcel.

Company directors Goko Blazeviski and Daco Kostovski are also listed as directors of GS and DA Properties, which online documents show acquired the adjoining lots three years earlier.

The developers are hoping a previous application to the City of Wollongong—approved for a similar 12-storey building in 2004 on just five of the lots—will help ease the way for their shoptop venture.

The proposed development seeks 83 residential apartments across 10 upper levels, both internal and external rooftop communal space, with commercial tenancies at ground level and basement carparking.

Legal counsel for Wollongong says the 2004 development approval for five of the six lots—also for a 12-storey mixed-use tower—sought demolition of the existing buildings. Enough work was undertaken that the earlier approval remains “an activated consent”.

Despite the earlier approval, Stantec—who authored much of the application— said the developer wished to proceed with a redesigned project.

The developers are hoping a previously approved application will help ease the way for their shoptop venture.
▲ The developers are hoping a previously approved application will help ease the way for their shoptop venture.

“The new landowner has decided to proceed with a development application for a redesigned building on the site to allow for an improved streetscape presence, a varied building footprint and a design which more effectively integrates with recent development in the locality,” the Edmonton-headquartered design, engineering and environmental consultancy wrote.

Under new plans the residential units will be made up of 11 one-bedroom apartments, 33 two-bedroom and 39 of three bedrooms.

About 900sq m of commercial space will be shared across two tenancies with frontage to Corrimal Street, Moore Lane and a proposed southern laneway. There will be 811sq m of communal open space on the first level and another 298sq m on the rooftop, with swimming pools on both floors.

Two basement levels will provide parking for 129 cars.

ADM Architects, who are also Wollongong-based, are the project designers.

Critically, Stantec says the key elements of the originally approved development, such as the endorsed building height, will be replicated in the new design. 

That is important since there are two different maximum allowable building heights over the six lots—24m across two and 32m across the other four. At a proposed height of 39.5m the tower exceeds both.

In a clause variation statement asking council to allow the building dimensions, Stantec argued a nearby 10-storey building “already significantly exceeds the 24m maximum building height”.

“Flexibility is sought for the application of the building height variations so that a better outcome is achieved for the site, vehicular movements and overall streetscape,” Stantec said.

With total estimated development costs exceeding the gazetted $30-million threshold, the project will need to be referred to the Southern Region Regional Planning Panel.

ResidentialAustraliaPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ralph Nicholson
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Sydney developer is pushing ahead with a project it picked up following the collapse of Dyldam in 2020....
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/wollongong-mixed-use-tower-plans-filed