The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
27
print
Print
RetailTed TabetThu 23 Jan 20

Kaufland Withdrawal Leaves Landlords in the Lurch

edd20f2a-fdf0-45cb-aac4-eaa90bad40af

German discount retailer Kaufland has withdrawn plans for its hypermarket expansion despite investing over half a billion dollars on property, staff and distribution.

After confirming in 2017 plans for an “ambitious Australian investment and development program”, Kaufland, led by Australian managing director Julia Kern, moved to lay the foundations of a network of large-format supermarkets planned on the east coast.

Kaufland, which is owned by the world’s fourth largest retailer, Schwarz Group, was well advanced in its Victorian expansion, with five stores approved and as many as 20 others in the planning stage.

Kaufland also had locations in South Australia and Queensland in its pipeline, with the first of its stores expected to open in early 2021.

The retailers first distribution centre was also under way, a 110,000sq m automated facility set be built on a 28-hectare site on the Hume Highway in the Merrifield Business Park being developed by MAB Corp and Gibson Property Corporation at a cost of $460 million.

Kaufland purchased the Merrifield site in March last year and was due to settle on the full transaction within weeks.

▲ Kaufland did not give a reason for its pull-out, apart from that it wanted to focus on Europe for the foreseeable future.


The company's withdrawal has shocked many, given the size of investment already placed on Australian shores, with development partners, suppliers, contractors and landlords left in the lurch.

Kaufland said its existing Australian investments, including properties bought for retail outlets and distribution infrastructure, would “be discussed with the relevant parties in coming days”.

“This was not an easy decision for us, we always felt welcome in Australia,” Kaufland acting chief executive Frank Schumann said.

“We would also like to thank our business partners, who offered us great support over the last few years.”

Australia's $100 billion food and grocery market provided a number of barriers to entry for Kaufland—which uses a model relying on distribution of upwards of 30,000 niche products.

The discounter sells mainly private label or homebrand food and groceries as well as general merchandise including electronics, clothing, hardware and homeware.

Kaufland currently operates in Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, and the Republic of Moldova with roughly 1,300 stores and 132,000 employees.

“In Europe, we see a great deal of growth potential,” Schumann said.

“We will actively shape the consolidation of the European retail sector, thus further reinforcing our leading position.”

Kaufland noted its 200 freshly installed Australian employees, including former Myer chief executive Richard Umbers, Woolworths, Metcash and Aldi executive Mark Hewlett and former Woolworths and Coles category manager Timothy Walsh, were informed of the decision on Wednesday.

Following the announcement, Coles shares jumped 3.04 per cent to close at an all-time high of $16.62 while shares in Woolies leapt 3.2 per cent to end the day at an all-time high.

RetailAustraliaSector
AUTHOR
Ted Tabet
The Urban Developer - Journalist
More articles by this author
website iconlinkedin icon
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/kaufland-withdrawal