The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
ConstructionStaff WriterWed 08 Nov 17

Christchurch’s $475m Convention Centre Moves Ahead

Christchurch-convention-centre

Following a cost increase of nearly $30 million, the Christchurch Convention Centre is moving ahead with the first of 14 concrete pours taking place last week. 

Designed by architects Woods Bagot, the $475 million centre is expecting a "tsunami" of interest in hosting conferences once complete.

The centre will be capable of hosting up to 2,000 delegates for a variety of national and international events, and include a 1,400-delegate auditorium, a 3,600 square metre exhibition hall and 1,600 square metres of meeting rooms overlooking Victoria Square.
“This is a welcome step in Christchurch’s regeneration," Ōtākaro Limited chief executive Albert Brantley said.


"The design of the Convention Centre will make it a standout feature in the central city, and today we start bringing it to life."

[Related reading: Main Works Under Way For Christchurch Convention Centre]The updated figures were released by Christchurch Regeneration Minister Nicky Wagner in August. Wagner said the direct economic benefit to Canterbury was expected to be more than $321 million in the first eight years.

Construction of the Convention Centre will require around 19,000 metres cubed of concrete, 4400 tonnes of structural steel and 43,000 façade panels.

Work will initially focus on the construction of the plenary hall, on the northern side of the site. A live webcam will allow everyone to watch the progress being made.

“The Convention Centre will be a world class venue and a cornerstone of the revitalised central city," Brantley said.

"With its 2000-person capacity, it will bring events to Christchurch that we have never been able to host in the past.

"It will also be able to simultaneously host two 700-person events, which the previous facility couldn’t do."Christchurch NZ industry partnership manager of tourism Caroline Blanchfield said Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide either have recently or plan to expand their convention centre because it is a growing industry.

“There is significant demand for a premium facility of this type and the South Island’s stunning scenery will mean Christchurch is an attractive option for international events,” Blanchfield said.

“We have calculated that the lack of a suitable conference venue is currently costing the local economy more than $90 million each year in direct economic investment.”

Construction of the Convention Centre is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2020 and available for smaller regional events from the middle of that year.

IndustrialInternationalCairnsdo not useMelbourneBrisbaneAdelaideConstructionPlanningArchitecturePlanningSector
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/foundations-officially-laid