The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
13
print
Print
RetailThu 28 Jun 18

Controversial Beachside Twin Towers Get Green Light

08d6fd2f-58fd-4c00-b83b-fbb7f1ccfc4d

Chinese developer 3 Oceans Property has won approval for its twin-tower development that will tower 43-storeys above Perth’s Scarborough Beach.

The development will feature two mixed-use residential and hotel buildings, designed by Hillam Architects, offering 345 apartments and 159 hotel rooms on the former Contacio bar site on Scarborough Beach Road.

The approval comes after six months of ongoing mediation process with the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority, with the MRA initially rejecting the $450 million twin-tower project in December 2017 citing “significant overdevelopment of the site”.

Managing director Dyno Zhang said the group had been working on its towers proposal, expected to create 2200 jobs during the construction process and an additional 700 permanent positions once completed, since acquiring the site in 2014.

Related: City of Perth Reject Plans for Far East’s $160m 'Perth Hub'


The proposal, which will more than double the height of the current tallest tower in Scarborough, didn’t come without community opposition.

Local community group "Sunsets Not Skyscrapers" describe the approval as “a planning disaster for our beautiful coastline”.

“This development was given every possible concession to completely change the future of our coastline – we will live with this and the precedent it sets, forever,” the group said on its Facebook page.

For its part 3 Oceans said it had spent more time with the community via a mediation process.

"We have now included an even greater focus on tourism benefits with dedicated space allocated to a WA Coastal Experience Centre and a WA Market Hall showcasing the best of Western Australian produce,” the developer said last month.

The revised proposal reduces site coverage to 72 per cent, down from 80 per cent together with overall car parking reduced from 834 to 750 bays.

The newly-approved project includes 100 public parking bays, an observation deck with art gallery and restaurant, retail and food outlets.

Urban Development Institute of WA chief executive Allison Hailes welcomes the project as a boost to the local economy.

“In the current economic climate this is good news for the people of WA,” Hailes said.

HotelResidentialAustraliaPerthPlanningPlanningSector
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/controversial-beachside-twin-towers-get-green-light