The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
38
print
Print
OtherAna NarvaezMon 01 Apr 19

Building Owner ‘Attacks’ Cladding Audit Hours Before Deadline

f2c5339f-ba8a-4afc-922c-6d7c126b252a

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission has said its online safer buildings checklist was attacked by a party “aggressively probing” the website prior to Friday’s deadline.

QBCC commissioner Brett Bassett said that he has not ruled out referring the matter to the police.

Developers and building owners across Queensland rushed to register on Friday, with the website receiving registrations every 30 seconds in the hours before the midnight deadline.

More than 20,000 buildings have now registered for the first part of the Safer Buildings audit checklist.

It is estimated that about 10 per cent of the buildings registered will have been built with the same flammable cladding blamed for London’s Grenfell Tower fire. This would mean at least 2,000 Queensland buildings built between 1994 and 2004 may need to undergo costly rectification work.

A Queensland enquiry of 12,000 government buildings found that of the 880 buildings that needed further investigation, 70 required rectification work.

Related: Laing O’Rourke Wins Reprieve After Licence Suspension

It is estimated that 10 per cent of buildings registered will have been built with the same flammable cladding blamed for London’s tragic Grenfell Tower fire (pictured).


The safer building checklist requires owners of private buildings to undertake a three-stage process to identify whether their building is affected by combustible cladding.

The second stage will require owners to engage building industry professionals to answer more technical questions, while the third stage requires a fire engineer to prepare a risk assessment and determine whether rectification is necessary.

The QBCC said 68 per cent of buildings registered online have already been cleared after the first stage.

More than 4,300 buildings will now continue on to part two.

A similar investigation in New South Wales identified 447 buildings as high risk, while a Victorian audit found that 679 privately-owned buildings had aluminium composite panels with a polyethylene core or expanded polystyrene panels.

Earlier this month, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal found Lacrosse tower consultants, including architect Elenberg Fraser were liable for damages and ordered to reimburse builder LU Simon for 97 per cent of costs.

Commissioner Bassett said owners should check their buildings for any dangerous cladding “as a matter of urgency”.

“Combustible cladding is a serious issue, as we have seen with another cladding fire recently in Victoria at the Neo200 building.”

OtherAustraliaGold CoastBrisbaneConstructionArchitecturePolicyReal EstateConstructionPolicy
AUTHOR
Ana Narvaez
The Urban Developer - Editorial Director
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/building-owner-attacks-cladding-audit-hours-before-deadline