The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
19
print
Print
OtherTaryn ParisTue 12 Oct 21

Pallas Courts Build-to-Rent with Tax Relief Sweetener

f3cee8b9-7438-4146-bb1b-0d449dd6317b

Build-to-rent developments will be exempted from absentee owner surcharges for up to 30 years under changes unveiled by the Victorian government in an effort to bolster the burgeoning sector.

It also announced that build-to-rent projects completed and operational before 2032 would be eligible for both the absentee owner surcharge exemption and the 50 per cent land tax discount for up to 30 years.

From 2020 an absentee owner surcharge of 2 per cent was applied to Victorian land where the owner did not live there, which presented a problem for build-to-rent assets.

Treasurer Tim Pallas said the changes were made after consultation with the industry.

“This will not only ensure Victorians have access to more rental homes and a greater range of housing options—it will create thousands of jobs as we rebuild from the coronavirus pandemic,” Pallas said.

“Home has never felt as important as in the past 20 months and this initiative will ensure Victorians have access to safe and secure rental properties for a long time in the future.”

Melbourne is the build-to-rent “epicentre” of Australia with almost double Sydney’s pipeline and quadruple Brisbane’s.

But developers have argued for an extension of the 2040 deadline initially mooted for land tax discounts due to the long-term nature of these investments of about 15 years.

These changes have gone some way to appease build-to-rent developers, but the contentous windfall gains tax is going ahead, which could heavily affect the feasibility of these projects, according to Property Council of Australia Victoria executive director Danni Hunter.

Earlier this year Hunter called for changes to the windfall taxes, which are being introduced to parliament this week.

“The Property Council warmly welcomes the Victorian Government’s vote of confidence in the emerging Build to Rent sector through the confirmation of the available tax concession for BTR developments in Victoria,” Hunter said.

“Having certainty on these important concessions will mean the industry can immediately press go on around 6500 BtR apartments in central Melbourne alone, locking in Victorian jobs and increasing housing choices.

“The confirmation of the start date, the application of the concessions to BtR developments that have been completed this year and, very importantly, the extension of the concessions to 30 years, provide the BtR sector with investment confidence to get on with the job of providing high-quality housing stock for our growing population.

“The Property Council is eager to see the full detail to be contained in the Windfall Gains Tax and State Taxation and Other Acts Further Amendment Bill 2021. As the concessions are contained in the same Bill as the Windfall Gains Tax, we caution the government to not wipe out the positives of the legislation with a poorly thought-out tax on rezoning and development.”

Treasurer Tim Pallas said the adoption of the windfall gains tax would provide a “fairer tax system” that ensured even distribution of money in the community.

The windfall gains tax will slug owners of council-rezoned properties, with a 50 per cent tax on windfalls above $500,000, which the government said would be turned into funding for public transport, schools and infrastructure.

Pallas said transitional arrangements would push back the start date to July 1, 2023, and would exempt proponent-led rezonings that were already under way by May 15, 2021.

“We want to ensure Victoria has a fairer tax system, with revenue from the windfall gains tax going back into Victorian schools, hospitals and public transport,” he said.

“We’ve consulted with industry and made the changes that are appropriate and fair, and will ensure the community benefits, as well as land owners.”

ResidentialAustraliaPolicySector
AUTHOR
Taryn Paris
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/build-to-rent-tax-concessions-extended-in-sector-epicentre