The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
1
print
Print
RetailRalph NicholsonSun 25 Jun 23

Planning Panel Delays Aland’s Campbelltown Park Decision

Aland Campbelltown Hero

Sydney developer Aland will have to wait a little longer to learn if it can make 4000sq m of communal open space and a two-level community centre the cornerstone of a $400-million mixed-use development south-west of the capital.

In revised plans lodged in September last year, Aland agreed to remove an eight-storey tower from the Campbelltown masterplan, replacing it with a community building which would house four meeting rooms, an open function area, kiosk and an auditorium.

The communal open space—which makes up nearly 20 per cent of the 20,465-sq-m site—would have picnic and barbecue areas, nature trails, cycle track, a waterplay area, an outdoor stage and parking for bikes and cars.

The facility would overlook the heritage-listed Warby barn and stables—two sandstone agricultural buildings that once formed part of the larger John Warby Estate, first established around 1816.

But while Campbelltown City Council supported the project as a whole, a local planning panel has knocked back the community centre and park area.

Aland was told there was a small height variation for the single-storey community centre, which includes a basement level.

An artist's impression of the towers that will make up the masterplan.
▲ The latest masterplan calls for five towers of between 12 and 15 storeys. A determination has yet to be made.

And the planning panel wants more certainty around the approval of the whole master-planned project—filed under a separate development application—which seeks five towers of 12 to 15 storeys, more than 9000sq m of commercial and retail space, 558 apartments, five basement parking levels for more than 1450 vehicles and podium and roof-top open space.

Aland’s head of development Ryan Lane admitted to being a little disappointed by the planning panel’s rejection.

“But we’d be more disappointed by the rejection if we hadn’t got the feedback,” Lane said.

“They're obviously waiting for the outcome on the bigger development application, which to some degree makes sense.  We’re a little bit disappointed, but if it was just a flat-out rejection of a park, we’d be very confused.”

Aland’s development—envisaged as a planned neighbourhood—has been almost seven years in the making.

Plans for the site at 22-32 Queen Street were previously lodged in 2019 calling for around 780 apartments and buildings of up to 24 storeys, but revised documents resubmitted in July last year now seek just 558 apartments.

A photo of the former Brands on Sale outlet mall.
▲ The development site was briefly home to the Brands on Sale outlet mall, but was abandoned 12 months after opening. Source: CoreLogic

“We looked at lots of different options and were looking at potentially going a little bit taller with the tower, and that's where the indicative number of about 770 apartments came from which would have filled out the fully developed or approved floor space ratio for the site,” Lane said.

“So working with the council, we decided that we would lodge a fully compliant DA to the heights of the site.

“And that led us to an outcome where we had 558 apartments and a much better aesthetic and functional outcome in terms of the commercial retail, because originally some of the floor space ratio was envisaged to be underground, not above ground.”

According to online documents, Aland acquired the three lots that make up the development site between March and July in 2015, paying a total of $25.5 million.

The bigger of the three lots—1.45ha at 32 Queen Street—was briefly home to the Brands on Sale outlet mall featuring about 80 shops, a food court and hundreds of parking spaces. But after opening in 2009, Brands on Sale went into receivership within a year. It has been abandoned since.

Land told The Urban Developer Aland expected to attend a determination meeting with the planning panel next month.

ResidentialAustraliado not usePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ralph Nicholson
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Dorcas Street project replaces demolished walk-ups with 131 modern apartments, the first step in a multi-stage redev…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/aland-campbelltown-park-decision-delayed