The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
ResidentialStaff WriterWed 08 Jun 16

Shock As QLD Government Reverses Foreign Investment Policy

i

The Queensland Government has reversed its policy on attracting foreign investment in the local housing market, announcing a new 3 per cent surcharge on stamp duty for foreign buyers.


Queensland Executive Director of the Property Council, Chris Mountford, has labelled the announcement a broken promise and a high risk move for Queensland’s fragile economy.


“The Treasurer has previously committed to making Queensland the most attractive state for foreign investment, now he is looking to abandon this competitive advantage in the search for more revenue.”


On May 6 2015, Treasurer Curtis Pitt ruled out any new State taxes targeting foreign property investors in Queensland:


“In the lead up to the election we made it very clear that we wanted to provide certainty to businesses and investors, and that we would not be changing the existing revenue policy settings this term of government,” Mr Pitt said.


“Therefore, we’re ruling out any stamp duty surcharges for foreign investors who purchase a house in Queensland."


“We want to send out a very clear message that Queensland is open for business and that we welcome foreign property investment,”

Queensland Treasurer Curtis Pitt[/caption]Mr Mountford said that the policy reversal will be a significant shock for industry confidence and will place many projects at risk.
“At a time when the Queensland Government’s resource revenue is being drastically written-down, trying to recoup losses from one of the few sectors of the Queensland economy that is currently generating jobs is short-sighted,” Mr Mountford said.


“Our residential development cycle has reached its peak. The Treasurer’s actions are likely to intensify the market’s cooling process, impacting construction work and ultimately jobs over the next 12 months and beyond. Foreign investors enable new residential projects to get off the ground, creating a huge economic benefit for the state and producing new stock that puts downward pressure on rents and keeps housing affordable for Queensland families,”


“The Treasurer’s commitment to increase the first home buyer incentives is welcome, but they will not be enough to offset the significant impact of this policy reversal. There are international investors currently weighing up the merits of residential projects in Queensland. If they choose to go elsewhere so will the Government’s revenue.” Mr Mountford said.


Treasurer Pitt additionally announced a new First Home Owner Grant will form part of next week's budget, with the aim of pushing Queensland housing affordability, according to BrisbaneTimes.com.au.

Speaking at a Queensland Media Club luncheon, Mr Pitt said the First Home Owner scheme would be boosted from $15,000 to $20,000 for buyers of their first newly constructed property under $750,000, to be lifted in Tuesday's State Budget.

The grant is currently $15,000 for buyers of newly constructed homes.


“We will lift the current $15,000 grant for buyers of newly constructed homes to $20,000,” Mr Pitt  said.

“The grant will be able to be used to buy a newly constructed house, apartment or townhouse valued less than $750,000.

“This is a great time to build in Queensland with affordable housing on offer and the Palaszczuk Government’s first homeowners grant will make it even easier to enter the property market," The Courier Mail reported.

Mt Pitt also announced a new stamp duty surcharge of three per cent on foreign buyers after ruling it out last year when Victoria introduced a similar measure.

“This will ensure foreign purchasers of residential property who benefit from government services and infrastructure make a contribution to their delivery as local buyers do,” he said.

ResidentialInfrastructureAustraliaFinancePolicyPolicy
AUTHOR
Staff Writer
"TheUrbanDeveloper.com is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews, opinions and insights into the best of urban development from Australia and around the world. "
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/shock-as-queensland-government-reverses-foreign-investment-policy