The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
22
print
Print
GovernmentAna NarvaezFri 15 May 20

Construction Delays Yet to Descend into Legal Fracas

91d725fd-967f-4596-acc8-8177b9190d01

Social distancing has had a larger impact on construction schedules than the shock to supply chains or site access, with construction sites largely staying open during Covid-19 lock downs.

Intense lobbying from property industry groups and unions kept construction sites open nationally over March and April as the attention of the sector moved to easing restrictions and government stimulus.

A survey of Property Council members revealed that the impact of public health measures was the leading contributor to construction delays, with 46 per cent responding that their projects had mostly remained on schedule.

Property Council chief executive Ken Morrison said that developers and builders had been amicable for the most part.

“Most parties have demonstrated their preparedness to work together without resort to formal dispute resolution tools,” Morrison said.

The peak body for quantity surveyors said that the survey showed the industry is proactively collaborating and avoiding formal disputes.

“Our members are aware that some builders have submitted notices of potential delay that don’t seem to be developing into actual claims,” Austalian Instiute of Quantity Surveyors chief executive Grant Warner said.

“However, if Covid-related restrictions don’t lift soon and if the market contracts further this may well change as developers and builders become more contractual to protect their position.”

Related: Home Sales Fall as 600,000 Jobs Lost

▲ The second known coronavirus case on a construction site was confirmed at Melbourne Square in March.


The latest new home sales index from the Housing Industry Association revealed that falling sales had pushed project cancellations to more than 30 per cent—four times the typical rate.

“In net terms, this equates to a contraction of more than 50 per cent in the volume of new building work, [which] will be felt in the second half of 2020,” HIA chief economist Tim Reardon said.

In April, industry body Master Builders warned that the worst is yet to come, as future work indicators fell by up to 40 per cent. Housing starts are expected to dip below 100,000 in coming quarters, falling to levels last seen in the 1960s.

Reardon said Covid-19 has further compounded a slowdown which has been under way since mid-2018.

“The volume of home building under way at the end of March was already 18 per cent lower than in mid-2018.

“Even the removal of all Covid-19 restrictions will not prevent a material deterioration in work and employment in the home building sector in the second half of 2020 and into 2021.”

InfrastructureHotelRetailResidentialMelbourneConstructionPolicyPlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ana Narvaez
The Urban Developer - Editorial Director
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/construction-delays-yet-to-descend-into-legal-fracas