The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
30
print
Print
ResidentialTed TabetFri 01 Mar 19

City of Sydney Unveils Alternate Proposal for Waterloo Estate

c76ab286-f2bc-490d-9dc2-18754c30dadc

City of Sydney council has called on the state government to scrap its controversial masterplan for the Waterloo housing estate precinct south of Sydney's CBD.

Last week, Lord Mayor Clover Moore expressed her dismay at recently renewed plans for 6,800 new homes to be built in an area to the east of a new metro station at Waterloo.

The government's masterplan has attracted widespread criticism from council, residents and public housing advocates.

The development, part of the government’s "communities plus" program, in which private housing is built on public land to fund the upgrade or replacement of public housing.

As part of those plans, the NSW government wants to demolish the existing housing estate's apartments at the site, including the Matavai and Turanga blocks.

“Waterloo should not be a planning experiment – it’s home to thousands of people who are devastated by what this Government is trying to do to their community,” Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore said.

“The City has extensive experience in urban development and we know that what the Government is planning is an urban disaster – that’s why our staff have worked on a feasible alternative.”

Related: Developers Shortlisted for Waterloo Metro Quarter Project

The City of Sydney has joined the Lord Mayor in criticising the Waterloo masterplanned.


The council has now countered the controversial masterplan, unveiling a lower-density proposal for 5,300 homes at the 19-hectare site, which is owned by the state government.

The council’s plan would also see a significant reduction in the height of new towers compared to the government’s concept, which outlaid seven 40-storey and twelve 32-storey buildings within a 20 hectare precinct.

Council plans will also retain the two 30-storey Matavai and Turanga towers, with new buildings recommended to be between seven to nine storeys, with 12 to 13 storeys around a major park, and four storey buildings interspersed throughout.

It includes 45 per cent for social housing and affordable housing, a significant increase on the government's proposal for 35 per cent.

A significantly larger park would be the centrepiece of the precinct, occupying 2.2 hectares.

Moore said the city's plan for lower buildings, wider streets and one large park would allow more natural light and ventilation in units and be more in-line with accepted urban design principles.

“It’s almost impossible trying to find anywhere on earth where a Government has proactively planned to build a residential neighbourhood as dense as this Government is planning for Waterloo,” Moore said.

“The NSW Government has a choice – use this once in a generational opportunity to create the kind of place where people will want to live and spend time in, or build a future ghetto of tall towers and overshadowed and unsafe public areas.”

Councillors will debate the rival plan at an extraordinary council meeting on Monday night.

If approved, the proposal will be discussed at a town hall meeting at Alexandria Wednesday 6 March.

ResidentialAustraliado not usePlanningPlanningSector
AUTHOR
Ted Tabet
The Urban Developer - Journalist
More articles by this author
website iconlinkedin icon
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/city-of-sydney-unviels-alternate-proposal-for-waterloo-estate--