The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherLindsay SaundersWed 18 Oct 23

Costs Go Higher as Home Building Declines

New home builds declined but values rose as the construction crisis made its mark on the June quarter.

According to ABS data, total home starts fell 11.8 per cent to 40,720 homes during the June quarter compared to the previous quarter. Commencements fell 15.4 per cent year-on-year.

New houses accounted for 101,820 of the homes under construction.

Private sector apartments and other residential buildings drove the decline, falling 19.6 per cent to 14,529 homes. They have fallen 11.9 per cent since June, 2022.

Private sector house starts fell 6.6 per cent to 25,162 homes after a fall of 2.5 per cent in the March quarter and are down 17.4 per cent for the year. 

Meanwhile, the value of total work done for the quarter was up 0.3 per cent on the previous quarter at $31.5 billion—4.6 per cent up on the same period last year.

The rise was driven by new residential building work done, which increased by 1.2 per cent to $15.9 billion and follows a decrease of 0.4 per cent in the March quarter.

Work done on non-residential building rose 0.2 per cent to $13.1 billion and is 6.5 per cent  higher for the year.

Total home commencements

null
▲ Source: ABS

Work done on alterations and additions to residential buildings fell 5 per cent to $2.6 billion.

The number of homes under construction fell 1.4 per cent to 237,779 homes in the June quarter. New houses accounted for 101,820 of the those under construction.

And in more bad news for the nation’s housing crisis, completions fell during the quarter by 7.5 per cent to 41,669 homes in the June quarter, in seasonally adjusted terms.

Apartments and other residential buildings fell 20.1 per cent to 13,379 homes compared to the previous quarter but are 0.3 per cent higher for the year.

Private sector new house completions fell 1.6 per cent to 27,213 homes. This follows a rise of 3.9 per cent in the March quarter. They are down 3.1 per cent for the year. 

The data shows the June 2023 quarter had fewer new homes starting work across Australia than any time during the past decade, Master Builders Australia chief executive Denita Wawn said.

“Today’s results confirm that 2022-23 was the weakest financial year for new home building since 2012-13. New detached house starts are 41 per cent down on the peak two years ago,” she said.

“For higher density homes, the loss has been even worse. Compared with the high activity reached during the mid-2010s, activity has sunk by a whopping 55 per cent.

“Rental inflation has deteriorated sharply at a time when higher density home building has moved firmly into reverse gear. This is no coincidence.

“We have not been supplying the rental market with enough new homes since before the pandemic.

“Government policy needs to be working to reverse this negative trend.”

ResidentialAustraliaReal EstateConstructionConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Lindsay Saunders
The Urban Developer - News Editor
More articles by this author
linkedin icon
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
The two towers, of 35 and 34 storeys, help cement the SA capital’s growing status as the best place in Australia for the…
LATEST
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/abs-building-activity-june-quarter-2023