The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
OtherRenee McKeownWed 24 Jun 20

Victoria Fast-Tracks Combustible Cladding Scheme

e9dd19ce-3b55-4e22-894c-5c3ae32fce82

The Victorian government has accelerated the $600 million plan to fix flammable cladding following multiple fires in Melbourne.

This adds to a number of fast-tracked announcements from the state government as a way to rekindle the economy following the impact of Covid-19, including the approval of four mega-projects along with $1.2 billion in “shovel-ready” buildings and developments.

The plan, originally designed to rectify up to 100 buildings per year was fast tracked to 400 in two years, sending the original builders back to the construction site faster.

The aim was to make Victorians safer by reducing the risk associated with combustible cladding on residential apartment buildings after a cigarette sparked a fire in the CBD last year, this came after Melbourne's LaCrosse building also caught alight in 2014 as well as the harrowing 2017 Grenfell disaster in west London.

More than 2,200 residential towers and care facilities have already been audited by the Victorian Building Authority who were looking at buildings constructed after March 1997 with with expanded polystyrene or aluminium composite panels with a polyethylene core.

In other parts of the country, Queensland building regulations were amended so owners would have to complete a combustible cladding checklist for any building approved after 1994 and NSW created a building register for accommodation more than two storeys high.

Minister for planning Richard Wynne said they were fast-tracking the rectification of buildings with dangerous cladding to make them safer, sooner and create thousands of jobs.

“This is a chance for the original builders to become part of the solution and keep their workers employed during these challenging times,” Wynne said.

“Only reputable builders will be eligible for the accelerated program. Those found to have done the wrong thing will not be able to participate.”

Cladding Safety Victoria would work with a select group of reputable builders to rectify their projects at no-profit.

To get the payments after the project's completion, participating builders would have to pass rigorous government checks, including the absence of significant pending or past disciplinary action on their records.

In cases where builders were ineligible to participate the process the government would proceed with cost recovery, so building practitioners that did the wrong thing were financially liable.

Owners who did not want to work with the original builder do not have to participate in the fast-tracked program, however they would still have their buildings rectified by Cladding Safety Victoria.


ResidentialAustraliaMelbourneConstructionPolicyConstructionSector
AUTHOR
Renee McKeown
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
First projects named in a statewide plan to fast-track supply, including thousands of homes in a major growth region…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/-victoria-fast-tracks-combustible-cladding-scheme