Developer the Willemsen Group has signed a multi-million-dollar long-term lease with the Commonwealth Department of Finance for a new office building in Canberra near Parliament House, The Australian has reported.
The announcement comes as renewed interest in Canberra’s office market is driving a busy year of sales.
The A-grade 24,065sq m building, known as One Canberra, is at the corner of National Circuit and Canberra Avenue, 500m from the Parliament House. It consists of five levels of flexible floor plates varying from 2200sq m-5000sq m with the leasing deal brokered by Raine & Horne Commercial. The lease amount is under confidentiality agreement and cost cannot be named, but the cost is understood to be in the multi-million dollar range, according to The Australian.
“To take up the lease, the department was also moving out of office space it owned. This issue needed to be worked through very carefully and delicately.”Separately, the Department of Finance is also going through a process to divest four major government-owned office buildings in Canberra. About $4 million was set aside last year to carry out the sales, according to The AFR.
About One Canberra
Endowed with the signature address One Canberra is located less than 500 metres from Parliament House on the intersection of Canberra Avenue and National Circuit in Forrest.
Our design practice has conceived striking, innovative and exceptional quality building which addresses the national significance of the site and its public nature.
One Canberra will provide a total of 24,000 square metres (NLA approximately) of office space over five levels on flexible floor plates varying from 2200 square metres to 5,000 square metres.
The active heart of the building is a 1,000 Sq.m, 5 storey central atrium which provides access across the building and between floors via generous aerial bridges and helical stair.
Three basement levels provide ample parking for almost 500 cars, loading dock access, showers, bicycle parking and over 700 Sq.m of tenant storage.
Energy efficiency is a key design criteria with the latest passive and active energy efficiency systems employed to achieve the overall lowest energy consumption whilst providing class leading occupant comfort. To supplement this the building will be have one of cities largest private solar generation array’s providing up to 200kw or renewable energy to power base building services.
The building has been designed and is independently modelled to achieve a 5 star NABERS rating independent of solar generation.
Considerable effort and analysis has been put into the design of each floor plate to maximise functionality and the penetration of natural light. The result is flexible and efficiency floor plates of up to 5,000 square meters in size with more than 90% core to non-core office space*.
One Canberra will be a landmark development, and has been designed and specified to a level commensurate with the significance of the location and requirements of Commonwealth Departments and major organisations who deal directly with ACT and Commonwealth Government.
The building is under construction and is scheduled for practical completion in October 2014.
Key facts and features
- PCA ‘A’ Grade quality standard.
- Design 5 Star NABERS independently modelled.
- 24,100 square metres NLA.
- 5 storeys above ground with roof level central plant.
- 5 storey internal atrium with 1000 Sq.m floor area.
- Three levels of basement car parking at a ratio of more than one bay per 50 square metres of net lettable area (NLA), 495 bays.
- 200 Kw solar array when building fully occupied.
- Two independently serviced building wings separated by a 1,000 Sq.m internal atrium with linkages on all levels.
- Floor plates which can be subdivided down to 1,000 Sq.m or combined to provide 5,000 Sq.m on a single level.
- Panoramic full height triple silver coated double glazed façade with continuous blind pelmet.
- Basement bicycle parking for 88 standard bikes ( expandable) with adjoining shower and change room facilities.
- Loading dock with linked storage areas and purpose built security office.
- 700 Sq.m of enclosed basement storage.
- Foyer reception station with megapixel CCTV station, intercom, WIP and security system connectivity.
- Secure island site.
Monument quality finishes internally and externally including, class A off form concrete and natural zinc exterior surfaces, travertine public area floors, extensive marble wall claddings and full height glazing.
Key Benefits of Floor Plate Design
- Large 10.2 metre by 8.4 metre column grid,
- regular floor shape,
- floor to ceiling windows on all sides; and
- central core and 10kpa high load zone.
Densities of 12 square metres per person and less with AS 1428 disable compliance and extensive on floor meeting and amenity facilities are readily achieved.
Willemsen has established a track record of delivering major office developments in Canberra to Federal and Local Government departments with integrated turnkey fitouts. Our design practice is experienced and able to liaise with all relevant stake holders to obtain agreement for new and innovative work environments.
Under construction the project is not subject to development finance or leasing pre-commitments. The building is fully documented with comprehensive written specifications covering every aspect. One Canberra is fully de risked and is being built to the highest quality standards.
One Canberra is an unique opportunity to establish a large holding of premium sustainable office accommodation in National Capitals premier federal government precinct.