The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
4
print
Print
OtherRenee McKeownMon 19 Jul 21

NSW Construction Sector Begs for Lockdown Backflip

c3efb504-8b59-480f-8583-923241b825c1

NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian says her government is throwing everything at containing Covid-19 but the construction industry is “begging for a backflip”.

The state has recorded a further 98 cases, 20 of those infectious in the community, with contact tracing revealing additional construction supply businesses affected.

The snap decision to put a construction pause for two weeks was expected to affect around 250,000 workers.

According to the state government, workplaces were the second highest place of transmission after households.

Glass, landscaping supplies, lighting and electrical businesses along with more Bunnings Warehouses were added to the list of exposure sites in the past week.

Urban Taskforce chief executive Tom Forrest said, the construction industry is “begging for a backflip” from the premier and the decision was based on politics not health advice.

“This hasty decision taken on the weekend, without consultation with the industry, wreaks of a government in panic following their indecision and lax attitude to the eastern suburbs Delta strain outbreak,” he said.

“There is simply no published evidence to support the decision to close down the entire construction industry 100 per cent. There is certainly no health advice, based on what Dr Kerry Chant said today.

“Even in the peak of the Victorian closedown, the construction industry stayed open on a scaled back basis. At its worst, Victoria limited numbers on construction sites to 25 per cent.”

During her Covid update, the premier dismissed a question specifically regarding reducing worksite capacity to 25 per cent as seen in Melbourne last year.

Berejiklian said the work was not urgent in the next fortnight and the aim of the pause was to get the construction industry to resume and continue safely, and indefinitely.

“We’re throwing everything at this to make sure we get out of this lockdown as soon as we can,” she said.

“Having the risk of thousands and thousands of people being mobile at the one time, many of them coming from communities who’ve had cases, was too big a risk.

“The treasurer, deputy premier, [and] key senior public servants are meeting, obviously virtually, with the construction sector daily to make sure when they go back to work there are safe workplaces in place.

Related: Covid Closes Down Sydney Amazon Fulfilment Centre

“What we can't have is people, especially those who may not even have symptoms, visiting multiple work sites, visiting construction sites with hundreds of workers and spreading that disease.”

One of the biggest builders in the region—Multiplex—enforced a shutdown of all Greater Sydney sites as per the NSW government’s directive.

“This applies to five sites with a combined workforce of approximately 2000 people,” a Multiplex spokesperson said.

“The health and safety of our workforce and community is our absolute priority.

“While the enforced shutdown clearly brings many challenges for our industry, we recognise the duty we have in limiting movement and supporting the NSW government’s Covid response plan.”

The Covid construction activity pause includes sites across Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour unless there is a safety or security risk, emergency or to use materials that would otherwise deteriorate.

OtherAustraliado not useConstructionPolicyConstructionPolicy
AUTHOR
Renee McKeown
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
The Sydney developer is pushing ahead with a project it picked up following the collapse of Dyldam in 2020....
LATEST
Aerial view of Caboolture and Bruce highway to Brisbane with Bribie Island Road crossing, Queensland, Australia
Policy

Queensland’s $2bn Push Opens New Housing Front

Vanessa Croll
2 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/nsw-down-tools-in-covid-construction-pause