The Urban Developer
AdvertiseEventsWebinarsUrbanity
Industry Excellence
Urban Leader
Sign In
Membership
Latest
Menu
Location
Sector
Category
Content
Type
Newsletters
Urban Leader Awards Logos RGB White
NOMINATIONS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 12 RECOGNISING THE INDIVIDUALS BEHIND THE PROJECTS
NOMINATIONS CLOSING SEPTEMBER 12 URBAN LEADER AWARDS
LEARN MOREDETAILS
TheUrbanDeveloper
Follow
About
About Us
Membership
Awards
Events
Webinars
Listings
Resources
Terms & Conditions
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Republishing Guidelines
Editorial Charter
Complaints Handling Policy
Contact
General Enquiries
Advertise
Contribution Enquiry
Project Submission
Membership Enquiry
Newsletter
Stay up to date and with the latest news, projects, deals and features.
Subscribe
ADVERTISEMENT
SHARE
print
Print
Ralph NicholsonTue 26 Sep 23

Partners Green Lit for Phillip Island Hotel Redevelopment

Isle of Wight Hero

Luxury apartment developer Moda has won approval for an $85-million transformation of a 140-year-old pub on Victoria’s Phillip Island.

Bass Coast Shire Council has voted to grant planning permission for the redevelopment of the Isle of Wight Hotel and adjoining land, which will include a new seven-storey mixed-use 163-key hotel with a pool deck overlooking the ocean, rooftop basketball and tennis courts; and a three-storey, 49-room key-worker hostel with shared facilities.

The approved plans call for a pub, bistro, hotel dining and a high-end restaurant in what amounts to an hotel, dining and retail precinct directly opposite the Cowes Jetty, along the town’s main beachfront thoroughfare.

Provision has been made for 197 basement car parking bays under the hotel. A retail laneway will include four shops.

Moda Phillip Island Pty Ltd—a joint venture between Melbourne developers Salta Properties, Tabet Development Group and Moda—is behind the redevelopment at 9-11 The Esplanade and adjoining land at 2-8 Bass Avenue.

The group acquired the 8600-square-metre site opposite in 2021 from aged care developer John Matthies. At the time, it had a guide price of $10.8 million.

The precinct is being designed by Alexander & Co, the architects and interior designers behind a number of high-end hospitality projects including Burleigh Pavilion on the Gold Coast, and Manly Wharf Bar and the Imperial Hotel in Sydney.

The approved plans an hotel, dining and retail precinct directly opposite the Cowes Jetty.
▲ The approved plans create an hotel, dining and retail precinct directly opposite Cowes Jetty.

Colonial Leisure Group, established by the Morris Family in 2008 and which has a diverse portfolio of venues across Australia, has been appointed the operating partner.

The hotel, which famously hosted Fred Astaire, Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck during filming of the movie On the Beach in 1958, was destroyed by fire twice—in 1925 and again in 2010.

Since then, it has largely sat vacant, according to the Bass council.

Mayor Michael Whelan said the development would return the site to a landmark Phillip Island destination, create local employment, support the economy and provide much-needed accommodation for visitors and workers.

“Tourism is one of the main economic drivers of Bass Coast, but we currently lack enough accommodation to keep visitors in the region for more than a day,” Whelan said.

Under the conditions of the approval the developers will create a retail laneway.
▲ Under the conditions of the approval the developers will create a retail laneway.

“The proposed $85-million development, which will be built on the former site of the iconic Isle of Wight Hotel, will help address the significant shortfall of high-quality accommodation for visitors and workers on Phillip Island.”

Under terms of the approval process, the council has insisted a substantial Moreton Bay Fig tree at the front of the site be retained.

Moda said the design team have suggested a beer garden surround the tree.

Managing director Ed Farquharson said they were looking forward to capturing the nostalgia and spirit of the original hotel and bringing it back to life.

“Along with returning The Isle of Wight Pub, our proposed development seeks to provide an estimated $55-million to $76-million boost to the local economy annually and 150 new employment opportunities.”

During an exhibition period the council received 39 objections and seven submissions of support.

AUTHOR
Ralph Nicholson
More articles by this author
ADVERTISEMENT
TOP STORIES
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
Woolloongabba Precinct Vulture St
Exclusive

Brisbane Developer in Cross River Rail Compensation Tussle

Clare Burnett
4 Min
The Mondrian Gold Coast hotel's food and beverage is driving profits
Exclusive

Touch, Taste, Theatre: What’s Driving Mondrian’s Success

Renee McKeown
6 Min
Fortis’ display suites are designed as brand environments first, with tactile details and curated design to build buyer confidence before project specifics.
Exclusive

Relevant or Redundant: Will Tech Kill Display Suites?

Vanessa Croll
7 Min
Exclusive

Missing Heart: Why The Gold Coast Needs a CBD

Phil Bartsch
7 Min
View All >
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
The property giant’s strategic shift to higher density is in full flight as details of two landmark projects are made pu…
LATEST
The Adelaide purpose built student accommodation market is about to increase by 1058 beds with the State Commission Assessment Panel supporting two towers in the making.
Student Housing

Highrise Approvals Add 1000-Plus PBSA Beds in Adelaide

Renee McKeown
3 Min
JQZ Parramatta EDM
Residential

JQZ Plots 10-Storey Addition to Parramatta ‘Auto Alley’ Plans

Clare Burnett
3 Min
Stockland bumps up its apartment pipeline in melbourne and sydney
Exclusive

Stockland Re-Enters Density in $5bn Apartment Play

Renee McKeown
4 Min
South Melbourne social housing precinct
Affordable & Social Housing

South Melbourne Housing Precinct Revamp Takes Next Step

Leon Della Bosca
2 Min
View All >
ADVERTISEMENT
Article originally posted at: https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/melbourne-partners-green-lit-for-phillip-island-hotel-redevelopment