While the disruptive impact of digital technology in construction is still mostly speculative, technology is playing an increasing role in the economy as a whole. Tradespeople need to be well-versed in the use of apps and tools that boost productivity, quality and safety. Being tech-smart is no longer optional.
According to JBKnowledge, 79 per cent of construction firms consider the use of apps an important part of their day-to-day work. Whether you’re a contract or project manager, in-charge of onsite construction or simply looking to streamline processes there is likely an app that can make your life easier.
Tsheets.com.au produce an online timesheet app which simplifies payroll, invoicing and labour costing. They have provided us with their top picks of the best construction apps for 2017.
1. Hipages (Google Play And App Store)
Hipages has been connecting Australians with local trade professionals and home services for 13 years. An online marketplace providing benefits for both tradies and their customers, Hipages provides a screening process that gives customers direct access to qualified tradies, while connecting tradies with clients that may not otherwise have been able to reach.
Key features of Hipages:
- 100,000 average job requests each month
- Integrated online payment options for cashless and safer on-site transactions
- Built-in instant messaging feature for added security.
2. Aconex (Google Play And App Store)
Aconex provides collaborative technology to assist in compiling and managing the paperwork-heavy and asset-based projects in the construction sector effectively. The app provides functions such as document manager, workflow automation, bid management, issue management, handover management and control of project correspondence, along with BIM file management, field inspections and maintenance manuals direct from the users mobile device.
Key features of Aconex:
- Automate critical processes with customisable workflow management
- Project management feature integrates cost, contracts, progress forecasts and payment
- Centralised communication centre with customisable forms for RFIs, approvals and requests
- Bid and tender management platform monitors progress and simplifies workflow
- Smarter manuals for smoother operation and maintenance.
3. Fleetmatics REVEAL (Google Play And App Store)
Fleetmatics provides a GPS-based tracking system allowing visibility into vehicle and driver data, fuel usage, mileage and routes to help users make informed decisions, schedules and optimise fleet utilisation.
Key features of Fleetmatics Reveal:
- Customisable weekly or daily reports
- ‘Speed and Idling Status’ and ‘Harsh Braking’ track reckless driving behaviours
- ‘Maintenance and Fuel’ track vehicle information and log fuel usage
- Custom tracking with geo-fencing feature for an accurate virtual perimeter
- Customisable real-time alerts for crucial updates.
4. APE Mobile (Google Store, App Store And Microsoft Store)
APE Mobile rolls daily OP reports, punch lists, permits, site diaries, logs, forms and drawings all into one paperless platform, streamlining efficiency by avoiding the tradition office paper-work systems.
Key feature of APE Mobile:
- Upload and use your own documents or formats instantly
- Convert existing format to PDF template for future use
- Unlimited storage for drawings, records and images
- Host multiple users simultaneously
- Create and share across devices
- Complete ownership of data to import and integrate as needed.
5. iAuditor (Google Store, App Store And Microsoft Store)
iAuditor allows users to build checklists, conduct inspections and generate reports to ensure all checkpoints are covered in all safety inspections. iAuditor also gathers this data and generates an automated audit to ensure accuracy and enforce accountability.
Key features of iAuditor:
- Inspect from any device, with or without internet access
- Extra accountability features with location reporting, time stamps and digital signatures
- 57,000 existing templates in the iAuditor public library
- Real-time and automated reporting
- Create and share across devices
- Instant alerts when issues arise.
6. DroneDeploy (Google Store And App Store)
Winner of the best app for UAV mapping, DroneDeploy provides an eye in the sky giving users aerial mapping of all construction sites before, during and after every project. DroneDeploy is helpful at all stages of the project from mapping to verify site plans, while gathering data quickly to improve accuracy and safety.
Key feature of DroneDeploy:
- Automated take-off, flight route, image capture and landing
- First Person View (FPV) live stream
- Collected data can be converted to Orthomosaic NDVI, Digital Elevation and 3D modelling formats
- High-quality interactive and shareable maps across devices
- Powerful tools and integrations with over 30 apps.
7. Debtor Daddy (QuickBooks App Centre)
Debtor Daddy is an automated receivables management platform, that helps users get paid and increase cash flow, ensuring to reduce overdue invoices by up to 43% in just 30 days.
Key features of Debtor Daddy:
- Includes email reminders, phone calls and collection
- Predefined lists of customers and notification schedules
- Automatic daily sync with your accounting software
- Easy integration with Quickbooks, Xero and MYOB
- Review reminders before they are sent out.
8. Emergency+ (Google Play, App Store And Microsoft Store)
Emergency+ is able to establish the users precise location using GPS satellites to pinpoint precise latitude and longitude required to mobilise emergency services.
Key feature of Emergency+:
- Provides callers with information based on their emergency situations
- Assists callers by dialling the relevant numbers
- Displays location coordinates for callers to relay to emergency operators.
9. Construction Master Pro (Google Play, App Store And Microsoft Store)
Construction Master Pro is designed to work and convert all dimensional formats, helping to reduce errors, while saving time and money throughout every stage of the project.
Key feature of Construction Master Pro include:
- Built-in measuring tape, conversion tables, right angle, area and volume solutions
- Full trigonometric functions
- User-defined preferences.
10. Waze (Google Play And App Store)
Waze is a navigational app with real-time information, alerts and immediate re-routing as incidents are reported. The app also includes a multi-stop option to plot out destinations to ensure the user never looses track of where they need to be.
Key features of Waze:
- Syncs with your calendar to plan your routes
- Real-time speed limit displays
- Route options to avoid tolls and freeways, if possible
- ‘Planned Drives’ feature plans your journey to make sure you’re on time
- Available in 45 languages.